HPV.......More Knowledge......Alot of you were wrong

From MayoClinic.com

*Virtually all cases of cervical cancer are caused by HPV infections. An estimated 10,000 women in the United States are diagnosed with cervical cancer annually, and about 4,000 die of the disease each year.

*HPV infection occurs when the virus enters your body through a cut, abrasion or imperceptible tear in the outer layer of your skin. The virus is transferred primarily by skin-to-skin contact.

From Webmd.com

*more than 100 related viruses in this group

*so using a condom does not fully protect you from the virus

*The only way to absolutely avoid the risk of HPV is to abstain from sex

Cont....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• yes, a lot of people are diagnosed with cervical cancer annually but that number does not even come close to the number of people who have or have had HPV.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• From CDC.gov

*HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems

*HPV is so common that most people get it soon after they start having sex.

*There are many myths about how people get HPV. You cannot get HPV from being unclean, from toilet seats, or from having an abortion. Also, you are not more likely to get HPV from having rough sex or sex during your period.
    *In most women, HPV goes away within two years. We do not know why it lasts longer in some women than others.
    *A new HPV vaccine is now available for females, ages 9 to 26 years. It protects against the four HPV types that cause most cervical cancers and genital warts. But it does not treat existing HPV, cervical cell changes, or genital warts. The vaccine will be most effective in females who have not yet had sex since they are unlikely to have HPV.
    Anonymous

• umm.. ok.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Maybe if their hadn't been abstinence only education in our schools for the past eight years, some of the younger moms on here would know the facts. Just a thought . . .
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Op.... Just wanted to add to my previous post. Alot of women seem to have a misuderstanding about the virus. There are lots of sites to check out. And yes I realize that posting anon really pissed some of you off. But did i really want all of that in my mail. Heck NO! I hope this will help some get a better understanding of there disease. I honestly didn't realize some of the things they are saying now opposed to when I had first read up on things. which has been around 6 years ago. Alot has changed in what they have found out. I hope that they soon will find a cure for this. And no you are right I didn't have to have a hysterectomy. I had other problems affecting me too. but it was a plus for me. Cause at least now I don't have to worry about cancer, there anywho.
    Anonymous

• 2-1CavWife- What?? We had SEX ed. in our schools.
    Anonymous

• wrong about what?
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 10:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• uhm the vaccine doesnt help its BS
    Anonymous

• Really the vaccine doesn't work?? I have been postponing letting my dd have the shot. It is just way to new for me! I have been on to many drugs that have been recalled or known ppl who had there drugs recalled or whatever, ya know the lawsuits on tv. So I wasn't going to let her have it till she at least started her period and it had been out 1-2 more years.
    DOes anyone else hear of it NOT working??
    Anonymous