Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Mom housing question?

Has anyone ever heard of an assistance program for single mothers that helps pay for rent or housing?

Or anything of that sort... Thanks!! :-)

Answer Question

Asked by Alioop0324 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • In IL they have what is called the Homeless Prevention Program, they help pay for rent, utilities and security deposit to help get you housing. You can only use it once during a 12 month period. My suggestion is to google that and your state and see if you find anything.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • it depends on where you are. I know around here various indian tribes help out but there isnt any government help.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • i got on low housing its a government agency for all low income people. i'm not sure of any other programs that are specific to single moms

    Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • There is assistance for single moms who are unemployed but if you make any more than some obsurdly low amount of money per year than you don't qualify. I am having the same problem so I feel for you. I recently put a listing on craigslist looking for another single mother in my situation to room up with. So far, no luck, but my thought was that if a couple of single moms worked together, they could really help each other out. Let me know if you find any assistance that I haven't come across.

    Answer by nicho at 10:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Section 8 housing goes by your income. You can look online for it in your state.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • yes, but some states have a long waiting list unless u qualify for certain things. check out the section 8 housing. call wyca they will have some info on it ( the shelters) or google it. i know in texas there is a 2 yr waiting list.

    Answer by jsalazar_rules at 11:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Welfare department or house authority can help you out. I would start there.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 11:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.