• In the Spotlight:

did anyone give their infant water to drink instead of formula??

luvmybabyboy123

Asked by luvmybabyboy123 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DONT DO THAT! THEY GET ENOUGH WATER WITH THE FORMULA SO IF YOU GIVE THEM MORE WATER THAT TAKES AWAY FROM WHAT THEY NEED AND THEY WILL LOSE TOO MUCH WEIGHT.... ITS REALLY BAD FOR THEM! BE VERY CARFUL!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 10:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• No WAY! YOu are not supposed to give an infant water. They get all of the water they need from breastmilk/formula.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I've given my daughter water. No more than 2-3 ounces a day. A little bit here and there. it's not bad for them as long as they're getting fed the formula/breastmilk as usual.
    sdms

Answer by sdms at 10:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• SDMS its not good at all....... They can get sick from it.... A lady in my area was trying to save money and gave her baby water and the baby almost died! be careful but i guess do whatever the hell you wantd!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 10:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You should never substitute water for formula. They need the nutrition. I personally think that it would be fine to give them water in between feedings, but no so much that they fill up and won't eat as much as normal.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Google it, water in infants can cause seizures. They get plenty of water in their formula. Babies under a year old shouldn't have any more water then what is in their formula.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You CAN give water BETWEEN feedings, but shouldn't substitute water for formula/breastmilk. Our ped said not more than 4 oz of water per day. For a while we were having to make 6oz of formula with 8oz water b/c Kenzie would FREAK OUT when the bottle was empty, but they said not more than 20oz of formula a day, after a few weeks we increased her solids and stopped adding the water.

She has never been sick, nor has she ever lost weight, except for right after birth.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son's doctor told me to give him a couple of ounces of water because he was constipated. But that was only like 2-3 oz.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i stand the same with SDMS and SandraB383. i haven't given it everyday though. my parents did the same with 4 children and we're perfectly healthy. just as long as they're getting enough formula and nutrition, i think personally its ok. in the end its ur decision mom! :)
    princess021

Answer by princess021 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• For my little guy we did not give him any water until he was about 4 months old. It was hot, and we just gave him a few oz here and there. Now at 11 months we have to give him a sippy cup of water and juice mix so his poo is not to hard. he he Things change so fast.
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009