Advice please....27 month old questions. :)

We have a 27 month old daughter, Ayla. She is our first child and neither my husband nor I have much experience with kids. Anyway..., we're having issues with speech. She can say a lot of words, a lot of 2-3 word sentences, but omits the beginning and/or end sounds. I've had her evaluated at Easter Seals and it did NOT go well (it was naptime) so that didn't really yield any results. My husband wants to wait another 5 months or so before having her evaluated again (he thinks I'm overreacting). With that all said, she is incredibly physical. People think she's 3 because she can do so much physically. Do you think I should be concerned about her speech, or am I overreacting? Also....and this may just come with the territory...some days she is just GREAT. Happy, laughing, sweet and cuddly. But other days (today) NOTHING makes her happy. Is this normal? Thanks for reading, this is my first post. :)

JenJockisch

Asked by JenJockisch at 10:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would relax, she's still pretty young and therefore her speech won't be clear all the time and she won't enunciate the way we think she should. Give it time. As far as her moods, she's a little person. And just because she's only 27 months doesn't mean she doesn't have bad days. Just like adults, kids have bad days too. Seems silly at 27 months, but that's it. Completely normal!!! Don't worry! (I know that is easier said then done!!!!)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son is 20 months old, mood swings are pretty normal. As for talking. If she's saying 2-3 word sentences she's doing great IMO. I would just rephrase what she said, say it properly so she knows the difference. She'll catch on. My cousin is 3 now and just started talking in the last 6 months, every kid is different.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You know my friends daughter is like that. She has a speech problem. Although she does have a sensory problem as well. Anyways her daughter is a lot more physical because she can't express her self verbally. She gets very frustrated with it. But she is getting better. Good Luck with your little one!
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• She sounds perfectly normal to me! My daughter is the same, but opposite. She developed more verbally than physically. When kids are developing they sometimes focus only on that. So if she is very physically developed then she probably put all her energy into that and not so much into developing verbally. I would not worry too much, if she gets into her threes and still has trouble then I would go in for evaluation.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 11:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is very, very normal for toddlers to omit the beginning or ending of words. It is also very, very normal for them to use sounds they can make for ones they can't.
    For example:
    ooee for cookie
    nana for banana
    Your daughter sounds like she's doing great! Keep having fun and enjoying her!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Please dearie, don't worry yourself as the same applies to my son, and we never worry so much, like you said she is physically fit and speech issues always happen with first baby especially when there are no babies more than their age around to play with and discuss with; never mind she will get over it.
    As for mood changing, it is NORMAL, it happens to even adults!
    Ednik

Answer by Ednik at 5:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2009