Marriage Success

With divorce rates set to a constant high, what do you ladies attribute the success of your marriage to? Being in love, trust, effort, sex? The question that my husband and I asked each other was could you ever see yourself divorced from me. Divorce is not an option for either one of us, and it is our goal to make an effort to try each day. What about you ladies?

2-1CavWife

Asked by 2-1CavWife at 10:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• Communication and respect. And a sense of humour. My dh and I have been married for ten years, and a couple for fifteen. We have had our ups and downs (including going to marriage counseling about five years ago because things were not going well.) In some ways we probably had the odds stacked against us... we got married relatively young (I was 20, he was 22.) We are different races/ethnicities which gives us some challenges that I think are fairly unique. His family was not behind the marriage. Nonetheless we make it work because we respect each other, we can laugh with each other, and we make an effort to stay connected (which is the problem we had that got us into marriage counseling.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think it is a combo of all you mentioned. You have to make the effort, you don't nessisarly be "in love", you must LIke your SO, I think Sex is a big part also, and Defiantley the trust. Most ppl will have that out of love feeling somtime in there lives if they are together for any amount of time. but I do not think there is any constant in a relationship. If there was we wouldn't have to choose our partener they would all be the same ole thing.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I been with my husband for 11 years 9 married and communication is #1 let your partner know how you feel ... never got to bed mad...trust has to be there...ummmm trying new things in bed so things dont get stale helps to! Most important there has to be Love and I mean pure true LOVE!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 10:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Communication!!!!!!!! Taking the time to do stuff together. Sex and beauty fade---and the kids grow up---then you come face to face with that other person. So build your relationship while you are young so you really enjoy each other by the time you are old:-) It takes work--but it takes even more with a second+ spouse:-) Courtship After Marriage by Zig Ziglar is a good book on this:-)
    Anonymous

• I think you are right on. The key to a successful marriage is BOTH participants being on the same page, working together and making the marriage a priority.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think that if you guys really know how each other operate and know each others ins and outs it better situation because there are no suprises and you can manipulate any situation that will make both of you happy. There were many times where we would argue and be like what are we doing? We love each other and have a child together...I think its alot about God as well
    Anonymous

• having god as the center of our relationship. god brought us together. we made a real commitment and vowed we would never give up and divorce. we center our lives with family and always respecting and loving each other as we are our other halves which we are. we talk openly and never feel weird about telling or asking each other anything. i often see questions on here like should i ask him or that i can't ask him. why couldn't you. we certainly can cause we are so comfortable and know pretty much what the other will do. if you can't go to your better half about issues then who? we are truly happy and know the lord blesses our union. we were two imperfect couple that is striving for perfection together.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh my hubby has said several times that we wont divorce LOL.
    We are meant to be together, our individual histories show that so we work at it.
    Communication and honesty is HUGE for us, as is laughter. Being realistic, staying close physically and showing that love via little things like notes in lunch boxes,etc.

Let them know they are appreciated every now and then. Talk, talk, talk.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think the key to a great marriage is a combo of really KNOWING your spouse and ACCEPTING his/her for who they are and having that same respect come from them. With this respect the rest..good communication, trust etc..falls into place naturally.
    Evazmom

Answer by Evazmom at 12:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009