My two year old licks everything she gets her hands on... Is this normal?

My daughter is two years old and recently she has started to lick everything that she touches. She started when my husband and i asked her for a kiss and now she does it all the time. We have told her that it is not acceptable and that she can even get sick from it but she still does it. I am separated from her dad, so i don't know if she has learned it over there and he doesn't see it as a problem. Should i think of it as a problem? Is it normal? How do i make her stop?

FairyMom05

Asked by FairyMom05 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 2 and puts everything in her mouth. Even if its gross. Accoring to what I've heard, Babys and toddlers have thousands more tast buds on there tongues then even we do, as we age some start to go away. So really she is just using one of her senses (tast) to explore her ever changing world. Just keep an eye out and make sure shes not licking anything that could be a potential LEAD hazard.
    MeganLSBartz

Answer by MeganLSBartz at 10:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• it is normal... my son did it too. Shes going to do things you say no to because shes testing limitations. If you think she is getting it from her fathers house, as him about it. If he says that she does it over there ask him to please tell her no. I still have issues with the differences is discipline between my home and my sons fathers home. Communication is key. Hope it all works out.

Welcome to the Terrible Twos
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• oh and as for getting her to stop... only thing you can really do is be persistant. in time shell get the clue. Maybe a 2 minute time out will work.
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• It may just be a thing she does because she thinks it "funny" or likes that fact that it draws attention, even though it's negative attention.

My DD and DS did similar stuff when they were her age and still does time to time because they think it's funny.

We went through the licking stage...and now they go around "farting" on everyone and everything..... They stick their butts out and make "fart" noises with their mouths..... Of course we are working on how we don't do those things.   As far as getting her to stop you might want to try giving her a 2 minute timeout for the behavior and see's if that does anything. (It does help to curb things here)

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 6:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Yes, this is very normal =) They all go through the licking stage and I realized mine saw it on Lelo and Stitch movie and that is when it started with my 3 year old. I would sit her down, eye to eye and inform her this is not nice and we don't do it. I did have to take the movie away to stop the practise. The 2's and 3's are the imitating ages and they IMITATE everything!! LOL...It is normal and can be resolved, stay consistant.
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My daughter does this too. I tell her it's "yukky" and to keep her tounge in her mouth.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 2:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• my daughter saw a cat on t.v licking a little kids hand and so now she licks everyone she has even started licking herself because she saw a cat grooming itself. It is just a phase and should pass quickly especially if she licks something that doesn't taste to good.
    emmasmommy1016

Answer by emmasmommy1016 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2008