Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can they charge insurance if....

Your not driving the car? My fiance is paying off our expedition. At this moment we are not driving the car cuz it needs serious repairs. And the fact we cant pay for insurance at this time. So we get a letter the other day saying he needs to get insurance or they will put it on for more expensive costs. But if we aint driving the car and he hasnt been working can they still require us to have insurance?

Answer Question

Asked by momof5kidz at 10:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • I would tell them you want to cancel your policy. If you're not driving the vehicle then it doesn't need to be insured and they cannot charge you more if you didn't request the insurance in the first place. It's illegal. Tell them they are crazy.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Who is they? If it's the company that is financing it, yes they can. You can get it insured for liability and just tell them that it is parked and not being driven.

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Oh I should say its the company who is fiancing the car. sorry

    Answer by momof5kidz at 10:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • In New Jersey if you own a vehicle you are required to carry insurance. If you don't they can even suspend your licence for having an uninsured vehicle. It doesn't matter of it runs or not. The only way you may get away with it is if you turn in your plates. But then whey you try to re-register it they are going to question you about the lapse.


    Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • If you do not own your car you must have full coverage. This is to protect you.

    Answer by navy-wife at 10:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • most finance companies require that you carry full coverage insurance

    Answer by mosarmywife at 10:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • If iut is financed it MUST have full coverage. If you don't pay it..they will tack it on to finance at a much inflated cost

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • agreed to have the car insured when you signed the loan. There is nothing you can do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • if your vehicle is financed it must be insured, and yeah, you don't want them to put their insurance on it because it is high. you have to have full coverage, but call your insurance company and ask to have the rate lowered because you aren't driving it. they take off the collision ins. when my husband was in iraq his truck was parked in the garage and no one was driving it. i did that with the insurance and it was fully covered, but dropped to very little - like almost nothing. however, if you decide to start driving it again, you must change the insurance back, because they will not cover you if you are in an accident.

    Answer by momofasweetie at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Maybe if it's going to be out of service for a very long time, you can notify them, and if it's financed, probably them too. Ask them, they may be able to put you on a special low coverage for a month or so.

    Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.