Gifted??

My son brought home a paper the other day. He is in 3rd grade right now. They are wanting to test him to see if he is gifted. Of course I think he is, but do any of you know what they will do once they find out he is (assuming he is). Or what kinds of ?'s they are going to be asking him. The teacher was really busy and I haven't had time to ask. She said it would be a few weeks anyways. but just wondering if any of you have experience in this area.
Thanks

lovinmomto3

Asked by lovinmomto3 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Usually, our school does a preliminary mini-IQ screening on all the 2nd graders. The ones who score high on that and the standardized tests are then tested for GT. An IQ test, a creativity test, and sometimes a more general test, along with standardized test scores, teacher and parent questionnaires are all used to then place students in GT.
    Our students attend GT 3 hours a week, but otherwise stay in their grade.
    Good luck.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• they'll probably ask him questions that children a little bit older than him or a grade above him should know.
    i think you should just keep him where he is. with the kids he knows the children his age. i was pushed up a grade and i absolutely despised it (yeah i did good in school but socially i was definitely NOT there.) and i ended up going to my original grade.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh yeah def. I am not moving him anywhere. they just said they had a teacher come in and work with them once a week. He is no where near mature enough to go up another grade. LOL. I guess that old saying is true, you either have book smarts or common sense. How he ended up with the book I have no Idea. LOL. He sure didn't get it from me. LOL
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• oh okay, :) i mean your of course his parent lol i just was putting my input out there. :) good luck though!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009