My two year old has just started throwing temper tantrum and biting and screaming and hitting. She takes everything from everyone and says " MINE ". She is just all around awful. Please help I am at my wits end and need to know the healthiest way to deal with her? Dose this pass? is this normal ? Am I doing something wrong?

Rachael418

Asked by Rachael418 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Terrible Twos!!! Its normal... it WILL pass. Be persistant and dont be afraid to put her on time out. 1 minute for every year old she is. If she throws a fit leave the room. Dont give her any attention for unacceptable behavior.
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• It is normal :) I HOPE! :) Time out works wonders for us- Ayden gets a warning with some things- but hitting, biting, (he only does that to himself) he goes RIGHT into Time out- he stays there- even when in public- at first I usd to have to put him back in it - but now, he just stays there- he gets 2 minutes...then I explain WHY he was there- this is working for us :) GOOD LUCK!
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 7:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Honey this is all normal =) Select a safe time-out place for her and this is where she will be placed until she stops the tantrum (this keeps her safe and others around her). I used a playpen, with nothing inside, in a corner of the room. I would place her in the playpen and walk out of the room. When she stopped I took her out and allowed her to go back to play after encouraging a "I'm sorry" to all around, even if it was just me.
    This worked wonders for me and I used this method with all four of my kids. I am praying for ya =)
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• it is normal. you are not a bad mom. your daughter is hitting the age where she is testing the boundaries. be firm, be consitant, and do not ever give into a tantrum. its basically terrorism. it plays on your emotions. she's 2 but she knows this. so...good luck, but worry not.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have taken to biting my son back lightly to let him know that hey that hurts maybe i shouldn't do it anymore also if he does not apologize he gets put on bathroom sink and his grandfather screams at him.
    p_frabotta

Answer by p_frabotta at 10:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Perfectly normal. We told Jack that every time he says mine he goes into time out. He doesn't say it nearly as much although sometimes he does he does say jack's instead (lol). For hitting and biting it is an immediate time out. After timeout we explain why he was in time out and he has to repeat No hit _____. My favorite was when he started his own list. No hit mommy, no hit daddy, no hit gram, no hit plane. It was hard not to laugh. He then has to apologize to whoever he hit.
    beanurd

Answer by beanurd at 11:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• The term MINE is completly normal and you shouldnt correct him if he's right. If its his toy you should say 'thats right it is yours, and you should share it' Dont push the issue or make it a big deal or it could get worse. If people are coming over with kids just have him pick a few 'Special' toys that no one else can play with to put up. Then remind him that the other toys are for sharing.
    MeganLSBartz

Answer by MeganLSBartz at 1:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• It's normal 2 year old behavior.
    Just say "stop hitting or you will get a (time out, spanking,etc)". then the next time she does it, follow through immediately.
    Whatever you do, don't chalk it up to a stage she's in and let her do it. If she learns right now that there are no boundaries and she is free to do whatever she pleases.. it sets her up for much more dangerous behavior as she gets older. (Running into traffic, drugs).
    The best way to protect your kids from danger is to discipline them from a young age.
    cobola22

Answer by cobola22 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• remember that children are limited their vocab. and they dont understand when you tell them no and stop they might stop but wont really understand what it was they were doing wrong instead of using negatives (no, dont, cant...) try telling her what she is doing wrong and show her the right thing to do itll take alot of patience but in time it will really work and try showing her how to share by getting a timer set it for 5 minutes and tell her when it goes off then its time for someone else to use it as far as the tantrums and time outs if they arent working take away all toys no tv until she can tell you what she did wrong and tell her if she does it again then she will sit with no toys no tv even longer the next time i have uber experience with toddlers i was a teacher in a two year old room in a daycare for years feel free to ask me anything bout 2 year olds good luck

~~mcwilsonsmom210~~
    mcwilsonsmom210

Answer by mcwilsonsmom210 at 3:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2008