Virgin birth (reference to House tv show)

The House Christmas episode, did anybody see that? Don't read any further if you haven't yet & want to :-) This woman came in & was pg, but she & her fiance were saving sex for their honeymoon. Of course she denied cheating, & House did paternity test on the fetus (which I didn't know you could do, thought you had to wait until birth) He said that the woman did self-fertilization because of a calcium spike, which has never been documented in humans but is plausible. Turns out he was lying because of a bet with Wilson lol & duh, she was cheating, but it got me to wondering (Mary being a virgin mother.) I really don't understand HOW it could happen, but it still makes me wonder! So what do you think? Could this be an explanation if Mary wasn't lying (I believe she was telling the truth)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can see it now, this is going to turn into a bashing fest.
    Anonymous

• Uh-oh, I didn't intend that! Maybe I'd be better off deleting it then
    Anonymous

• I saw the episode and i have no idea but i had the same thought.
    Anonymous

• You know, I didn't see that House -- (but I looooove HOUSE!) I have heard of people having tumors removed that contained hair, finger nails, etc.. and they used to think that these tumors were twins they had absorbed in utero -- but now the theory may be that humans are trying for asexual reproduction. Its really interesting. Btw you can paternity test a fetus, they pull DNA during an amniocentesis. It's risky and usually in a healthy mother the doctor would recommend just waiting for birth to test.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have the kind of tumour that Serafyna speaks of... it's called a dermoid tumour or dermoid cyst. It's essentially an unfertilized egg that begins to divide in the ovary for whatever reason. Because it lacks half if it's genetic material it cannot develop into an actual person so instead it develops into an tumour that can contain any human tissue... mine is benign and contains teeth and bone that can be seen on u/s! Weird but true... I have never heard it theorized that is as evolutionary attempt at asexual reproduction.

I guess nature is weird and wonderful... but there has never been a case of human parthenogenesis. The most recent case I read about was a case involving a captive female shark. The catch as far as it applies to Mary is that the baby produced contains only the mother's DNA., meaning the baby MUST be female. Women do not contain the Y chromosome in their DNA.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Huh thanks for a double answer! Interesting, I hadn't thought of those tumors like that. I personally know men who have had them though, so maybe it's a mix of both (absorbed twin or asexual reproduction) I really didn't know you could dna test a fetus, but I opted out of the belly tests because 1 I don't have any risk factors (age etc) and 2 it wouldn't have changed our minds if they came back with bad news :)
    Anonymous

• There have been cases of partially absorbed twins removed from inside men... many of those are obvious fetuses, in the sense that although malformed they contain many recognizable anatomical structures. The dermoid tumour that women can get on their ovaries are just masses of tissue because they lack the genetic info to grow 'limbs' or other recognizable structures. Apparently mine probably contains fat, hair, skin, and a couple of recognizable teeth or bone fragments that are visible on u/s. Gross, I know.... Some are problematic because they can be malignant or they can contain functioning tissue (like thyroid tissue) that can affect other body systems. Strange but true!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Mary_and_Jesus.htm this is a pretty good read.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• so even the bible says it doesn't know. But there are ways.. they could of tried to have sex and he came before breaking her "cherry", blah blah.. there are ways. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Wow, thanks for sharing! I have cysts that flare up occasionally & I whine about those lol, but that's nothing compared to what you have. I knew that they could be cancerous (sadly anything can) but did not know they were able to function like that (thyroid) Don't answer if you don't want, but are they able to remove yours?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2009