what is up with this? (catholic kinda upset with other religons)

so I am Roman Catholic and I went to a christian church for about 5 years because I could not find a catholic one I liked and ppl always treated me diffrent like I was never accepted but if they believed in god why would they want to hurt someone like that? and then one day someone came up to me and asked me why I was going to that church because catholics dont worship marry and I should be with my one ppl.....why would someone say that? catholics dont worship marry where do these ppl get that? its like the whole catholics dont believe in birth control!!! whay do ppl say things like this to bring others down honestly I have not been to church since and dont know how to go back and where I belong can someone shed some light on this for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To a certain extent I think it comes from people not being knowledgeable about the tenets of other people's religions. Hence misconceptions exist, like saying that Catholics worship Mary or the Pope, or that Islam promotes violence, etc. As a Buddhist I get the same thing sometimes because people who don't know the religion assume that Buddhists must worship the Buddha (we dont'.) Unfortunately misconception (willful or otherwise) probably leads to a lot of conflict between people of different faiths.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• christians dont worship mary? im sorry i think im a little bit confused?...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I am a christian...one day I was at church and my pastor said something very rude about mormans, I've never been back. I cant stand people who are intolerable of anothers religion. I think as long as you believe, that is all I can ask for...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Having been a Protestant all of my life, until just recently, I too was misled into thinking that Catholics worshipped Mary. (I know, SO far from the truth!) I think they get this from the idea of "praying to the Saints", and holding Mary in high esteem as the Holy mother of God. I learned the truth while taking RCIA classes to become a Catholic.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 11:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well . anyone can believe in God. The thing is not all catholics have accepted Christ as Savior and there are many catholics that do worship Mary. Not all do, I know charismatic Catholics don't! I am not sure why someone would say what you said . The most important thing is to go where God wants you to be. Just know that Jesus is the way the truth and the life , no one can go to the Father except through Jesus. :-) Bless You!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• no someone at a christian church told me that they didn't know why I was there because catholics worship marry and they dont so I got kinda mad and now I have not ever gone back
    Anonymous

• some people are just ignorant when it comes to things like that. i understand why you're upset but i dont think you can take things like that personally (easier said than done, i know). Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about the stupidity of others other than educate them.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think her name is Mary not marry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• lol my keybord sticks lol haha sorry
    soldierswife11

Answer by soldierswife11 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I feel similarly about going to church. My grandmother has always gone to church and when I was younger I went with her. In recent years I quit going because of all the hypocryts (sp...lol). When My gram asked me why she responded....We are not to go to church for anyone else we are to go to church for ourselves. It is not for us to judge but for them to answer to Christ. With that being said...I would question there faith for asking you questions like that...They should be welcoming you not critisizing you for being there...Good luck in finding a new home for your faith...God will show you the way listen...
    shiningstar75

Answer by shiningstar75 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2009