Can I take my (older) teen to a court hearing as an educational experience?

I thought it would be something fun to do and was trying to think of educational things to do with him this summer. (I know I'm planning ahead.)

Anyway, if you call the courthouse will theyh tell you want trials are going on etc? Or do you just have to show up and take a guess and go where everyone else is going?

I actually did serve on a jury for a murder trial years ago and I remember some high school students came in and watched, so Iknow they allow kids.

Anyway, anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm pretty sure you can. When I took my Criminal Justice class for Paralegal it was an assignment for us to go observe. Check with your local Court House! :)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 11:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think thats a great idea. I watch court TV all the time, it tought me alot about how to pretect myself from getting suid and to use money orders instead of cash on a loan....
    sounds like a wonderful idea to me
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If you are going in to observe and it's not a closed hearing, then it should be okay. Most judges are fine with kids observing as long as they can be well behaved. Maybe you could call the jury services department at your courthouse and find a good case to watch?
    aleryan

Answer by aleryan at 11:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009