when did your child start talking?

My son is 14 months and he only says mama, papa, and bye.even though he does babbles alot,my mother thinks he should be talking more. Is not like im worried but i was just wondering if he should be saying more words?

ckiss

Asked by ckiss at 12:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's about what mine had at 14 months. By 18 months, she had over 100 words.
    Truly, every child is different. Give him time to get that "language explosion" going. It usually happens sometime before 18 months. By his 18 month checkup, he should have 10 to 20 words. If he doesn't, be sure to talk to his doctor about it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• He's doing well for 14 months! Kaycee14 is right.....almost exactly what our speech therapist said.

As for when my kids were talking...

1...said first word at 13 months and was speaking FULL SENTENCES, carrying on conversations at 18 months!! (he still astonishes people with his speaking abilities and vocabulary)

2...said first word at 15 months and finally using full sentences at 2 years (still early). He's now in speech for a delay in articulation (others only understand about 40% of what he says)

3...said first word at 22 months...currently in speech therapy for a severe delay in speech and language

You're good!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my son is 15m and mostly just babbles not really saying anything that we can understand that is, he does have a few words he can say if he choose to say them but just the basics right now, daddy, mommy, meow, up, etc.
    I think talking comes later around 18m/2yrs
    remember every child is different too, plus if you know what your child is asking for with out words this might slow them down with talking but I won't worry.
    Anonymous