My 9.5 yr old dog has incontinence issues?

This is what the vet suspects, we still have to go in for some testing to confirm and make sure its not a bladder infection. But she is leaving puddles everywhere---normally after she lays down so no more laying on my bed or the couch. What can I do? Is this something that just happens when they are old. Is this something I should be worried about as far as her health is concerned?

luvhubandbabys

Asked by luvhubandbabys at 10:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2011 in Pets

• as long as there are no other infections or issues then yes it does happen to pups like it does for us...
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 10:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2011

• I would take her into the Vet and have a thorough exam done just to make sure everything's okay. Our 14 yr old German Shepherd died this past March, and she was very old for the type of dog she was, and never had an incontinence problem. I'm assuming that the age does play a role, and possibly the breed, but IMO taking her to the Vet is the best way to go. Dogs can't tell you how they're feeling, and she might be hurting somewhere and you don't know it... Hope she's okay.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2011

• My golden had this issue when she got older. They put her on a medication that I started off giving her every day and then I was able to cut back to a few times a week. That medication made the difference she stopped having incontinence issues after that.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• This is fairly common in older dogs, usually medication can help. Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• We dealt with incontinence in one of our Huskies. It started when she was about 5 and lasted until the day she died at almost 13. What we were told was that the sphincter for her urine was stretched and it was hard for her to hold it in. The blame was supposedly because she was spayed...I guess it is a common thing. After we ruled out that there was nothing medically wrong with her, we kept her on a low dose Estrogen. Most of the time it worked...sometimes it didn't. It was frustrating. I hate it that she has died...complications from Cushings in July 2010 and I miss her terribly every minute of the day...but don't miss the mess. :-/
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• This is news to me,didn't know it happened.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 1:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2011