101.7 temp to high for a 3 month old?

do I need to call the dr right away, my son turned 3 months on the first and his temp is 101.7, he was being fussy but right now just being calm. Should I just wait untill morning or call now

angchick

Asked by angchick at 12:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call now....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i work at a dr's office.. i would give hi a little bit of tylenol to get the fever down.. adn call the dr right away fever in babies is nothing to mess around with. seriously
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes. Give him something to bring it down and at least leave a message with the answering service. Try giving him cool formula if he takes formula and / or cool baths. NOT cold baths. The water should feel very slightly warm to you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• At least call your pediatricians office to get ahold of the answering service - they will have the on call dr. call you within 20 mins.
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 1:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with Kaycee, give your child room temp formula to cool the inner core. A fever in a baby that young can be VERY SERIOUS, please don't take it lightly. It can cause brain damage. Best wishes Mama, I will be thinking of your little one!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• YES... anything over 100.5 for a baby 3 mos or younger may require hospitalization, unfortunately to rule out something serious.... def give them a call :)
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 7:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• have you given him tylenol? If you have and he is still high, then call. I would give him some first and wait a few hours.
    MommyJen

Answer by MommyJen at 8:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think it is, call the Dr, try not to panic, ds will be ok
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• thanks ladies, I called the answering service and they nurse instructed me to give him tylenol, since he is borderline at the dangerous mark she said if it goes down then no need to go to the ER but definetly take him to the Dr's today, it luckily stayed down and he has an appt later
    thank you all
    angchick

Answer by angchick at 12:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i believe if the babies fever hits 102 you need to take them to the ER or doctor. for babies that little we were advised to give the half dose on the tylenol bottle....i think it's 0.4, unless advised otherwise by your pediatrician. and check after a half hour and hour, and as needed with a rectal themometor. we also used cool wash clothes on our babies head when he was sick over the holidays.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009