My son is not calling me mommy! Why?

Once my 23 month old son learned to say my name Yeny thats all he wants to call me by. He would run up to me yelling "enne, enne!" And even before that , he can say mama but wont call me that. What have I done to make him call me anything other than mama? He is too close with papa. Oh papa he'll say easyly but when I tell him so say mama he says papa. Or now that he can say my name, that is what he calls me. Should I be okay with it? How long should I wait untill I hear mama? sometimes i feel he dosent loves me as much as daddy. (Im the one hes with all day!)

lasisterd

Asked by lasisterd at 12:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its frustrating, i know. my son was the same way at that age. even now, if i'm not paying attention to him he yell my name to get my attention. don't worry. soon all you will hear is mom or mom i want or mom i need. its coming, just be patient.:)
    momiwant1

Answer by momiwant1 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• it'll pass don't worry! It's actually very smart.. he is seeing as an individual! Also, remember that at this age any attention is good attention... so if you react everytime he say's it.. he's going to keep doing it! If it really bothers you ignore him when he calls you that.... then look at himand say" oh, ar eyou talking to me?! well.. my name is Mama remember?"
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:03 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I find the name Yeny a pleasent name! Maybe he just enjoys saying it! ( ; I'm sure you do this but why not try saying things like "Do you want mommy to get that for you" Or "Give mommy kisses" etc. It's really just a phase & it will be "mommy this & mommy that" in no time!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 1:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• it's because he hears other call you by your name. You need to get everyone to call you Mommy when he is near.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Always refer to yourself in the third person as "mama" and get others to call you that.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my 26 month old calls me by my name and i ignore it when he first says it ... then i look and say no trey im mama and he now he is kinda inbetweeen mama and rena right now like he is learning ! It is really hard to ask someone that is near to call u mama !!! And i myself talk in third person as mama
    treysmama06

Answer by treysmama06 at 2:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Its fairly common, for kids to do that. Ignore it, he will only continue to do it if he sees a reaction from it.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:28 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My ex and I call each other momma and papa around our son. He tried to teach my son how to say my name and I got pissed. It's fine if he wants to teach him his own and the other family members but not mine. Not that he'll be able to say mine any time soon anyways.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 1:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009