Hs anyone had a baby at a Military Hospital?

My husband and I are active duty Army. I have a few questions about military hospitals. Once you had the baby but were still in the hospital, did they provide diapers, wipes, etc for the baby? Also, when did you get ultrasounds? Like how many weeks were you and how many ultrasounds did you receive total?

This is the first time I will have a child in a military hospital....last time I ended up being at a hospital off post.

Thank you in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2011 in Military

• THANK YOU for asking.. im due realistically any day!! im scared to have my baby at the naval hospital (my hubbs is a Marine)
    USMCWifey2011

Answer by USMCWifey2011 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• We are on a Navy base too!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• Never again, it was hell! They give you a few diapers.
    Anonymous

• I had all my 3 kids on the base..I had excellent care..they do provide the essitials while you are there..diapers.formula etc..I never had any issues..
    LATINAICE

Answer by LATINAICE at 8:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• I had one at Ft. Bliss (William Beaumont Hospital). It wasn't nice like a regular hospital but it the care was fine. They did have diapers and I breastfed but there was no sending the baby to the nursery. She was in my room the whole time.

This was 29 years ago so I don't remember much else.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 8:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• I had 3 out of 4 of my babies on base and loved it so much more than my civilian experience. They did provide diapers and sent us home with the rest of the pack that wasn't used. At the Naval Hospital I got ultrasounds at 8-12weeks and 20 weeks. Where the civilian doctor did not do any unless there was medical necessity. Wipes are usually a no at any hospital. Or at least the ones that I have been provide dry clothes that you soak. I always bring my own wipes.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• I ended up having my baby at a civilian hospital but I worked on the mother/baby floor at Madigan Army Medical Center one summer and it was just as good as any civilian hospital I'd ever seen
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• At Naval Hospital Portsmouth in Virginia I received the 8 week ultrasound to confirm the heartbeat and the developmental check at 20 weeks. I was high risk so I got ultrasounds every week from 30 weeks for fetal growth. The hospital gave me clothes, diapers, wipes, formula, and a breastpump to use while I was in the room. Just to warn you I had to watch a video about the affect of shaken baby syndrome before we could be discharged. Before you are discharged they will let you take any supplies in your room and will offer a celebratory dinner for you and your DH but it does cost extra and isn't covered by tricare. I also had a private room for labor, delivery, and recovery.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• I had one child at Bethesda and it was a nightmare. One in Italy and it was great. One in Portsmouth and it was also great. The recovery from the c-sections at the prior two hospitals was perfect. The staff was professional and they made sure my babies could breastfeed, I had SBS training, etc. They provided diapers, wipes, blankets, pajamas for the baby, hand mitts if needed, and formula if needed. They did not hand out formula bags like other hospitals do. That's one thing I noticed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2011

• You need to call and ask your hospital. I had all my prenatal care up until 4 weeks before my due date at a naval hospital. Always question them, half of them don't know what they're doing. There are people that say they loved it and people that wouldn't take a million dollars to give birth in one of those hospitals. They only gave me one ultrasound at 20 weeks, and you don't get any more unless something is wrong. At our hospital they gave the mom's big baskets of goodies for the babies, mostly made by various church groups full of old ladies. So it was all the cutsie stuff and a few necessities. They're all different so I would go over this stuff with your doctor. Also usually you don't get to pick who delivers your baby, basically anyone who's there to catch them is what you get. Go over this stuff with your doctor so you know what to expect.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 1:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2011