How can a maximize my milk production. Since I went on birthcontrol my production has slown down and now with my little one growing like a weed I am having to supplement with formula and I hate it. I heard there is a vitamin or medication that you can take to increase production. Does anyone know what it is?

HELP ME!

o_kauffman

Asked by o_kauffman at 1:20 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• fenegreek (sp?) you can get it in pill form or in a drinkable tea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think it was called fenugreek? made me smell like syrup but it worked great
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 1:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I had the same problem when I got back on my birth control pills - my sons pediatrician told me about a organic tea called Mother's Milk Tea and believe it or not it works really well
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 1:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes, Mothers Milk Tea, is great.
    My mother suggested to me (very old school) 1/2 glass of beer before you go to bed. You will wake up soaked!! Her mother suggested some warm tea before bed works just as well. My biggest influx came after sitting at a nice warm fire sipping tea. Whew, that milk was thick, rich and more than the baby could handle. Relax seemed to be the key element~
    beyondme

Answer by beyondme at 1:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You heard wrong.
    A healthy diet is all you need. Not pills. Vitamins are optional, but if you eat well, you don't have to take them - but they won't help with production, just health.
    Fenugreek helps supply, as does oatmeal- REAL oatmeal.

The best thing you can do, though is STOP substituting. Stimulation aids in production. Breastfeed MORE, not LESS. Pump in between.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Liyoness is right, stop supplementing. Giving formula will do nothing but sabotage your supply. Are you on a progesterone only birth control? If not, that's what you need to be on. Hormonal contraceptives are bad for your supply. If you are on a progesterone only birth control and you feel like it's causing supply issues, stop taking it. Using condoms while you're nursing your child is a small sacrifice to make for your child's health.

Fenugreek will help. I've used it. I took 3 capsules 3 times a day.

Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Fenugreek did not help me at all.

Neither did Mother's Milk tea.

There is something they can prescribe, but they're stingy with it. I'm not sure what it's called, but my friend's sister took it, and she said she woke up the first morning after taking it, practically SWIMMING in breastmilk.

I wanted to take it SO bad, but they kept coming up with things for me to "try first". Not one of them worked, and we finally had to switch over to just formula. I felt really guilty and depressed about it because I wanted to exclusively breastfeed for nine months.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 6:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I wasn't on birth control, and still am not. I got my period when my daughter was two months old even though I was exclusively breastfeeding. My supply bit the dust big time.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 6:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was wondering what makes you think your supply is decreasing? When production evens out the breasts will go "soft". Meaning that just because you are not engorged all the time, doesn't mean you are not producing milk.
    That said, Liyoness is totally right, you need to breastfeed in order to produce enough milk. Supply and demand. When you start supplementing with formula the production will go down. To increase leave the baby at the breast longer on each side the increased longer sucking will stimulate your body to produce more. And make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was going to say, if you want to increase your supply you have to nurse more or even pump often. As you increase the demand, you increase the supply. So, supplementing with formula is the last thing you should do. Gradually, you will make less and less if you supplement with formula as the baby will need less and less. That is how it works! Really.... So, don't supplement. Nurse more often. Pump if you have to just to get your breasts producing..... If you really want to breasfeed.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2009