Bruising on my 2 year old's legs?

Hi ladies. So recently I've been noticing several tiny bruises on my son's shins. They are probably the size of a dime or even smaller. They are mainly on his shins and some on his knees. They don't last for very long but it seems like once a batch of them are gone, new ones appear not long after. He is healthy otherwise, takes a multi vitamin 2 times a day (which is the recommendation on this specific brand for his age) and is a healthy height and weight. My mom thinks I need to take him to the doctor but I am on the fence about it. We've had a bad experience before with his doctor over reacting and running a bunch of unnecessary tests, and I don't want to put him through that again unless I have a legitimate reason to worry. He is very active, runs around, jumps, bumps into things, etc. so I'm assuming that's what they are from but just want other opinions. Thanks!

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is very active, runs around, jumps, bumps into things, etc. so I'm assuming that's what they are from <<---- Exactly!! Our Doc once said she's be more concerned if my kids didn't have these kinds of bruises... meaning they aren't active enough if their shins aren't a bit banged up!! Sounds pretty normal to me! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• 2 years old are pretty clumsy he is probably just running into things and causing the bruises. Do they seem to bother him or have you noticed any other symptoms? By the age of 2 my son had stitches in his forehead and tried to knock out his front teeth on the coffee table because he won't slow down and he doesn't pay attention. If you notice any other symptoms or the bruises don't heal then talk to his doctor.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• Bruised shins on an active two year old are pretty normal! I would only be concerned if he were also pale and having nosebleeds - that would be of concern.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• He is very active, runs around, jumps, bumps into things, etc<===That's your culprit right there.

My kids are 4.5 and 8 and have been just like your son since they could walk (both before a year old). To look at their legs from knees to ankles makes me scratch my head and wonder.

Some days their legs are so bad I wonder about someone calls CPS about it. No one has and both my kids are healthy, happy, super-duper kids. They just go around with a ton of small bruises on their legs (none are bigger than a 50-cent piece).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• There was one bruise that was a little bigger than the others that was bothering him one day. It looked like he might have hit his shin a little hard in the particular spot but he hasn't said much about it since. And there are no other symptoms of anything being wrong.
    Ash9724

Comment by Ash9724 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• Do you have uncarpeted stairs in your home or your front stoop he likes to play on? You can get those kind of bruises climbing (on your knees) on steps especially if they are concrete or uncarpeted.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• Same exact thing happened to my daughter...and still happens at times even now that she's 5. I never really figured out what the reasoning was...yes, she was/is active, but I never saw her hit her legs on things enough to always have these bruises. But I guess she did...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• my son always has little scrapes & bruises on his legs. he's very active & crazy, always falling &running into stuff. no biggie.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• My 2yo dd has the exact same thing. I know she's not vitamin deficient as she had her 2yr hemoglobin and it was great. I think the culprit is the edge of the toddler bed frame. She goes full tilt into it and doesn't seem to mind, but I'm going to put a little padding there!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2011