• In the Spotlight:

Breast feeding two at the same time???

I heard that if you breast feed a one year old and a new born that the new born can choke...is this true??

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 1:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• noo... choke how? thats crazy. it doesnt hurt anything at all.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Of course you can nurse both....The choking thing is just absolutely ridiculous.

Here's some information on tandem nursing:

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• ~snicker~ you really believe that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Where would you get that idea from? I nursed twins in tandem with no problems.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No, where did you hear that? People tandem nurse all the time.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think I know what you mean by "choke". When my son was six months, I also started nursing my nephew as a newborn. My nephew would "choke" on the let down, because he was getting a let down for a 6 month old. And to top it off the baby was sickly and had to learn to suckle. I solved the problem by just having the older baby nurse first and get the bigger let down and then nursing the newborn after. I nursed them both for a year. As the newborn gets a little older it is easier for them to handle the rush of milk. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I had an overactive letdown, so my kids always *choked* on let down. They'd sputter and gasp then go back to nursing franticly so they could keep up with the flow. I don't see how tandem nursing would increase the odds of that.
    Anonymous

• You can tandem nurse. The thing is, you need to make sure you nurse the youngest baby first, then the oldest. There's a good book that talks about this and other things, called "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". It's been a long time since I read it, but it had a lot of good info on stuff like this.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2009