20month old wakes up numerous times in the night what do i do?

bumboles

Asked by bumboles at 3:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you made sure all of his needs are met, like getting a drink of water? Maybe try taking him to bed with you? You could talk to him about it while he colors on a blank paper. Later ask him about his picture.
    Butterflybabies

Answer by Butterflybabies at 3:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• When my son started waking up several times a night, I used the Supernanny approach.  My son was climbing out of the crib, so we moved him into a toddler bed at 17 months.  Prepare yourself to get very little sleep for about a week to do this.  Every time my son woke up, I silently put him back in his bed, tucked him in, and left the room and stood in the hallway .  No words, no lights, no noise, no hugs, no kisses, no attention other than putting him back in bed.  The first night it took about 50 times!  It was less and less each night until it stopped because he gained nothing from doing it and learned to settle himself back down.  He woke up later each night and fewer times as well (about a dozen the first night and once or twice at the end of the week).

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 4:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Well, it kind of depends as to WHY your 20 month old is waking up numerous times. Is he/she wanting fed? Wanting a drink? Wanting to play? Having a nightmare? Just want out of bed?

Shortly after DD turned 2, she would wake up two or three times in the night screaming her head off. She has a speech delay, so I never knew why she was doing this. I'd just pick her up and hold her until she was done crying and then put her back down in her crib, speak softly to her telling her she needed to go back to sleep, and then leave the room. Every now and again, she'd start to cry again...sometimes I'd go back in and do the same and sometimes I'd just ignore her for a few minutes to see if she went back to sleep (usually she did just that).
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The biggest thing that I learned though is don't get started doing anything you aren't willing to continue.

A first when DD started the waking up at night, I'd settle her down and, if she started crying again, I'd just grab a blanket and lie down on her floor falling asleep. It got to the point to where she expected me to do that every time and raised holy cane when I finally got half a brain and stopped it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• butterflybabies she doesn't want to color she wants to go to sleep. lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• before going to bed make sure everything is in order,,, d diaper , milk & so on...and especially let ur baby play all day.. just get her/him to nap after lunch.... then i assure u ur baby will sleep soundly at nighttime.....
    Aaliehs

Answer by Aaliehs at 7:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter gets up during the night too. Most of the time, all of her needs are met, she just wants mommy's attention. Pretty much the only thing to do is keep putting your child back in their bed and leave, keep the door cracked al ittle bit, and if u hear or see them get out of bed, calmly walk into room and place them back in their bed and go back into the hallway leaving the door cracked so u can hear/see, starting all over. It will most likely take awhile, but it's effective. They should soon stop climbing out of bed realizing that they'll just have to go back. It works great for my 23 month old, but every child is different. But it's at least worth a shot!
    MomOf2At20

Answer by MomOf2At20 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I feel your pain. Mine gets up twice to three times a night. Sometimes he gets up and doesn't go back to sleep for a while. With two other school age kids this kills me! He has been getting up out of bed and coming into my bed around 3. IF I can "wake" up before he does and catch him I will put him back into his bed, but last night he climbed in without me even noticing. I really wish I had some answers for you. I am going through the same thing and it seems a lot of moms of 20 month olds are too. Maybe its the age?? Good Luck

threeBoysMommy

Answer by threeBoysMommy at 9:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with Freehomebiz's advise. g/l
    Anonymous