How many of you all have don't have cable?

When I was growing up, we didn't and I grew up just fine. However, my husband now has to have the super cable, the high speed internet, his monthly payment for WOW and so much other stuff.

How can I suggest we cut the cable off to save money?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 4:08 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We dont have cable or a dish. If we want to watch something its a movie that we put in. We couldnt afford the dish anymore, so we had to get rid of it. I was pregnant at the time and thought it was awful lol - but then I really liked it. I dont just sit and get sucked into shows and it has brought our family together more. I wont have a baby who sits in front of the tv. I really like not having it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We don't have cable to save money. For home media type entertainment we use the internet, XBox, and lots and lots of Netflix. Netflix has saved us a very large amount of money. How can you suggest it? Maybe add up the yearly cost to show him what you could be doing with that money. Good luck!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We don't have cable...we have a dish...LOL!

Maybe before you cut out cable completely, you could just cut back to a smaller package. And for the internet, why not see about changing companies or going from cable to DSL or even to WiFi? Just making simple changes can cut back quite a bit.

BUT, if you are still just wanting to cut the cable, I'd be prepared to offer to cut something that you love as much as your DH loves his cable/internet/etc.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• we dont have cable either and sometimes there are alot of good shows on without cable
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We don't have cable or dish either. Network television has deteriorated to the point that neither one of us can even stand to watch it. We have Netflix and a Family Video membership and get our news online.
    TeeJai

Answer by TeeJai at 7:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I went for 4 years without cable of any kind , then had FTA satellite , we moved and decided to go with cable/internet/phone by the same provider , I wouldn't want to be without it now and neither would DH . It is our entertainment , we don't go out and party, or go to the movies or anything like that , so it is something we've worked into our budget .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Before you cut out Cable completely realize that you will have to buy a digital converter for every one of you TVs after Feb. We were just saying that we pay all this money and all we do is watch DVDs. There is nothing on.
    We are going to cut down our package. We don't have the deluxe because we are movie addicts, why pay for movies you already own? However we can go down one tier. I know my tween son will miss toon nick and disney but he will survive. I can't cancel it completely, we get a deal for having our internet, phone and cable with one company so it doesn't make sense. We have to have high speed internet because my children have online schooling. As for WOW. I stay away from it, I know that I would get hooked. Yet, If he likes it then try to see his side. A movie costs what these days $9-10 a person ? If you think about it, cable is pretty cheap entertainment. Only if you actually watch it though.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 8:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We do not have cable or a dish. When we moved into our house almost 2 years ago it was one of those things we said we would get around to doing. Here we are, almost 2years later, and not missing it. We got used to not having it. We do have a ton of movies and a subscription to netflix, along with DSL where we can watch a lot of shows on-line.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have fios because I am one of those people that cannot live without my cable t.v. and internet. My girls love the disney channel, they would go nuts if they didn't have it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We don't have cable TV but I can't get my husband to give up the Internet, even though he's the one who is always bitching that we spend too much money on luxuries we don't need.

runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 8:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009