What would you do if you found out a registered sex offender lived next door to you?

I found out a registered sex offender has moved in next door.
what makes matters worse is my sister is the one who recommended he move into the empty trailer that is less than 100 yards from my home. And she knew he was a registered offender, and did not tell me.
My fiance and I had to find out on our own after a few things about him didnt quite add up to us. now im so scared to go to sleep. I am a past victim from sexual abuse my self and am so worried about my children.
Please help, I dont know what to do or even if there is any thing i can do except to never sleep agine. thank you.

TwilightMadCat

Asked by TwilightMadCat at 5:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Well i would keep the doors locked and don't let your kids out by themselves not for a min. Because anything can happen in a min.Be careful right now and reavaluate the situation,does he have a lease does he rent or is he buying? If he is buying and defantly going to be there for a while i would look into other housing for your family you want to feel safe in your our home and if you don't feel good about where you live it could cause other probblems within yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It also depends on what his offense was. A sex offender could mean he had sex with a 15 year old when he was 18. If it was for rape or anything dealing with children I would consider moving.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 5:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If he is a registered sex offender because of things he did with children, I'd move. If that wasn't a possibility...well, and this is the God's honest truth...I would have an accident where his body met the front end of my car. There would be no way I would allow someone like that anywhere near my children, but that's just me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with Sbastille... that could be something that he did over 20 years ago when he was a young adult and had sex with a 15 year old.. you never know that is why it pays to find out.

I also think that you can never be too careful because a lot of child molesters never got caught so they are not even registered and it can be anybody!

this site is very helpful http://www.familywatchdog.us/
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 5:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Honastly I would move I could not live with the fear of him sneaking in a window at night or god knows what else!! And I refuse to live where my kids cannot go outside and play safley!! thank god you cant even see another house from mine!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 5:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree that he could have just been an 18 yr old with a younger girl. However I would check him out on the sex offenders registry, there are two sites that you could look into one is http://www.familywatchdog.us/ the other http://www.nsopw.gov/Core/PublicRegistrySites.aspx , which provides a list of sex offender sites by state. Sometimes it will say what the charge was. I recently had to deal with this when my cousin began dating a guy, whom we found out was on the sex offender registry. You can search by location or by name. But I would still keep an eye on this kids until you can resolve this issue either with the neighbor or by moving, whichever gives you peace of mind. Best of luck, I hope some of this helps
    My2BoyznMe0508

Answer by My2BoyznMe0508 at 6:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Honestly this very thing happened to me a few years back I confronted him! And itold every parent on the block and let him know we all know he is s fucking pervert...and he should move ..I made his life a living hell and then told the land lord who rented him the house that he shouldnt be living on this block with kids on it. HE moved only two weeks after he moved in. F***ing hate child molestors
    frankiebacon

Answer by frankiebacon at 6:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I've looked up the registered sex offenders in my area (13) and the majority of them had sex with a minor (like the 18 to 15 yr old scenario above). Yes, a couple of them had rape charges, but I didn't see any child molestation charges. Having said that, it sure doesn't make it any easier to know they are there. I watch my kids very closely and talk about the dangers of strangers and what to do if someone approaches. Prevention and awareness are your kiddos best defense. It sucks to be in a bubble because of other people; you ken my meaning?
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 6:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I thought registered sex offenders couldnt live within so many feet of children or schools. I honestly think they should ship all those nasty bastards to an island.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 7:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i would first call my local police station tell them the situation and see what can be done. and i would keep an eagle eye on my children
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2009