Get an mba or go to Cosmetology school?

i know. tooootally 2 different things right? My husbands almost done w/graduate school & then it'll be my turn to go to school but i'm slowly starting to think of doing people's hair. I have never had a interest in cosmetology before but i'm 30 now & i'm starting to become more sure of myself now. Business degree just seems like the more "responsible thing to do." Not sure if doing hair will take care of me when i'm like over 60. i'd love to hear your opinion

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Cosmetology!! And yes you can get insurance through a salon that you totally can make money with. I did and I loved it. You just need to go with what you really want to do. Hair is alot of fun and people always need their hair cut. Good luck with whatever you do. Going back to school is not easy but you can do it.
    Tarabon

Answer by Tarabon at 4:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Cosmetology school! People always need a hair cut - no one really needs someone with a business degree. Those with business degree are those who are fired first and are having a hard time finding jobs right now. However, hair never stops growing - well unless you're my husband! LOL
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I say cosmetology. IF that's something you want to do. Less money into it, start working right away, more flexibility with jobs -- and yes, people always need to look good.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Most cosmetologist are responsible for providing their own health insurance. The majority of salons do not offer it. Most of the ones that do aren't salons you want to work in if you're going for the real money...and yeah, if you do it right it's completely possible to have a six figure income doing hair.

There is no retirement plan, no 401k, nothin'. So no, it won't take care of you when you're older.

I did it. Loved school. Got out and found an amazing job apprenticing under a famous stylist...then realized, after almost two years, that I HATED it. I was so glad I met my DH who wanted me to be a sahm so I could quit.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009