i am 5 months pregnant is it bad if i dye my hair?

I want to dye my hair myself at home. would it harm my baby?

hmomr

Asked by hmomr at 7:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Personally, I dyed my hair through 3 pregnancies, a few times (I'm still in my 3rd preg. and I've dyed it once so far). I always heard that it was bad because of the bleach, but I don't use dye that has bleach in it. I did my own research during my 1st pregnancy to base my decision on. Here's a link you can got to:
    www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-color-my-hair-during-pregnancy_3273.bc
    scratch_n_sniff

Answer by scratch_n_sniff at 7:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Do not dye your hair. You will need to wait until after the baby is born. Live with it for now.
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 7:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• my sister is a hair dresser and she does preggo women all the time. I think it more of concerns about the fumes(from the bleach/coloring) that you might breath in when your pregant then it actually going into you skin and through the blood stream to the baby.
    shoegal

Answer by shoegal at 7:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• its perfectly fine to do that. :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 7:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• you can die your hair just make sure its well venalted and have a fan going i work for an obgyn we say its okay after 3 months
    scoobakay

Answer by scoobakay at 8:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• my ogyn said it was safe to dye ur hair in the second trimester he just told me to try and avoid the scalp and dont do it no more than 2 times while im pregnant
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You can, I did. Plus my doctor said there has never been any proof or anything indicating that hair dye will hurt the baby. Just try not to breathe the strong ammonia if it has it in there, have a fan blowing,. that's what I did. But I agree with mom-to-be21, Wait til the 2nd trimester because the 1st is the most crucial
    (just in case)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I am a hairdresser & shoegal is right. The dye does not sink in your head. It is the fumes that make some pregnant women sick. If you want to color your hair, go for it! Just make sure there is good air flow to keep from making you nauseous.
    seabaugh6

Answer by seabaugh6 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• After the first trimester, I'd go for it.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 2:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2008