what all can u do to help get rid of a cough?

my daughter is 3 and 1/2yrs old she started coughing last night and even threw up.i do have medicine to give her but so far she is just coughing.is there anything else i can do other than medicine? i want to try and get her better without going to the doctor.

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 7:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Health

• Give her a little bit of honey. That supposedly makes the throat feel better. I'm not sure how much though... maybe you could find that out by doing an online search using her weight.

I don't know how to stop it and if it's a productive cough, you don't want to stop it because it's probably dislodging all the gunk that is built up in her lungs.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I mixed a few spoons of honey with a little lemon. The children liked that, and it helped with the cough. I just gave them a little dab on a spoon.

Answer by Bmat at 7:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It depends on what kind of cough she has...if she is coughing so hard she throws up I think its something a Dr. should check into. When we cough from an itchy throat I boil water and that usually does the trick...dry in the house....you want to be careful stopping a productive cough, she needs to get all that yuck out, I would talk to a Dr. before I tried to stop it. Hope she gets to feeling better soon.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Run a humidifier, try the honey trick, also some very very weak warm tea.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• as a temporary soothening gets some peppermints and let her suck on it that helps the itch in the throat but then you will still have to find out what is causing the cough i have bronchitis and the peppermints work every time for me.
    denise6963

Answer by denise6963 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• she coughs but thats it. she only threw up once last night.she doesnt like peppermints.and my boyfriend is at work i have no honey.thanks for the tips so far
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Warm liquids. My DD will drink soup through her sippy cup. Lemon, also helps.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Before she goes to bed, rub vicks vapor on the soles of her feet and put socks on her.
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009