Please help

I have an 8wk old puppy that was a surprise from my husband on New Years Eve. I am working on house breaking her, but she is so hyper that we are no longer able to pet or cuddle with her without her chewing on us which we do not want since it hurts and is a bad habit all in all. I have tried taking her on walks, but she is so little she does not know how too yet, and with the temp in the teens she usually refuses to do anything but potty and go back inside. She has a ton of toys that she plays with, but she still prefers to either attack our feet/ankles, or chew on us when we spend time with her. Ideas would be greatly appreciated, I am getting really tired of it. She is a beagle

vbongard

Asked by vbongard at 8:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Maybe try some healthy chewys? And when she starts chewing on you, hold the chewy for her to chew on...3m makes some really good one and are easily digestible, Also Iams. But I wouldn't let her have more than one a day, easily digestible or not.

She's very young, so you can get past this. We had a beagle that we got when he was about 5 - he ate our house, and pissed off every neighbor in a 5 mile radius..

misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• He is a puppy that is just trying to play. You DO need to teach him that he cannot bite. Let him bite a toy (rope toys are good for this - play tug of war with him). If he bites you, wince and pull back like another puppy would. This imitates what would happen if he got too rough. Then immediately STOP play time. This makes it no fun anymore. He will learn pretty quickly that he has to play nice. When he does play nice tell him he is a good boy. Reward with praise, hugs, petting and an occasional treat. One thing about beagles are their sense of smell. They love to use their noses, so hide treats around the house that he can sniff out and find - they LOVE that!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My rottie pup was doing the same ,i would take and lightly put my hand on mouth and say "NO BITE" and would quit playing with her.I encouraged all that if they played with her not to use hands but toys. now she is as gentle as a lamb. She wont even bite my Kitten that annoys her on a normal basis. lol

Meme70

Answer by Meme70 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• She may be biting as a way of getting attention, or maybe she is teething. Give her lots of chew toys options to keep her busy and from getting bored. Also, when she does bite, close her mouth gently with your hand and say " No Biting" in a firm tone. Then end play session.
    When she does play nicely without biting, reward her with a puppy treat or a piece of her dog food. Positive reenforcement seems to work well.
    You may have to crate her for short time periods too until she gets the message that biting is not allowed.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You need to take him to puppy school, NOW! They will help you break all those bad habits. If you don't break them now, you will have a dog who doesn't behave later, and have no one to blame but yourself.
    Anonymous

• We have her enrolled in puppy school, but it does not start until the first Sunday in Feb.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Pupples usually learn not to bite too hard from being in a litter of other pups. Did she have brothers/sisters, or were they taken away from each other too soon? When they bite their mothers, siblings too hard, they were bitten back. I might wrap my hand around her muzzle, and say, no bite! but I would also try to make sure that she would have lots of other things she is allowed to chew up. Beagles are known for chewing up a lot of stuff though-hope it works out for you, beagles are so cute, but they are tough to handle sometimes.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We have a german shepherd puppy who is now six months old. She did the same thing yours did. When we tried to play with her, she would just bite with those razor sharp puppy teeth! Very annoying. You are going to just have to redirect her for awhile. Put a toy in front of her mouth. Tell her NO and ignore her for a minute when she bites. Be sure she has plenty of toys to chew on. Try getting one of those chilly bones that you can put in the freezer. They like those when they're teething.

Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• cont'd....

It's a good idea to take her outside, say go potty, stay until she goes, say good potty and bring her right back in. That way she associates going outside with going potty. You can take her outside to play after she learns this. Here's a cool thing to do with housebreaking. Attach a bell, the kind you shake, to the door you use to take her outside. Put it at her nose level. Once she starts getting the hang of going to the door to go out, she'll accidentally start hitting the bell. When she realizes that you go to her and take her outside when she hits the bell, she'll learn to ring the bell to go outside. We did that and it works like a charm. Just be sure you don't take her outside and let her play when she rings the bell, or she'll ring it just for that! That happens with ours sometimes and that can be annoying, lol!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009