What to do with my 17 year old that just wont obid by rules since he got a girlfriend.

Long story , Have a 17 year old boy who does the oppisite of what me and stepfather says. I have been with his stepfather since he was 2 years. My son got Girlfriend this summer and nothing else matters. I am at my wits end. His step father told him he couldnt drive to school because he wouldn't help out in yard this week end( Family chore). So what does he do while i am sleeping, sneeks off in his truck at 6 am to go to girlfriends house before school. I dont believe he needs to be going to gf's house before school. My husband and son are constantly at it . My son thinks life is all about going out with gf and having fun. Help!

Meme70

Asked by Meme70 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Ugh hormones and 17 year olds are very normal Im sorry to say BUT ~ Your house and your rules period. Doesnt matter if he is 7, 17 or 57. Who's name is the car and insurance in? If its in your name I would of went over to the girlfriends and drove off in the car. Your inbetween a rock and a hard place here. Legally you are still responsible for his actions. In some states legally he can do what he wants at 17 but your still responsible for his actions a catch 22 and not fair to parents. If it was me, I'd take the car keys. If he cant be trusted take the tires off the truck while he is at school. Until your 18 and pay your own way, driving is a priviledge. He cannot handle priviledge.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Well, he is a teenager. There is not one single teenage boy or girl out there in this world who would do different than your son.

We all have been at this age a while ago or a long time ago ;)

And i agree with your son. He is only 17years old, of course his life is all about going out with his gf and having fun. Soon he will be done with school then he has to get a job and the serious life starts. Dont you want him to be a teenager? let him enjoy the last few years of it. He wont be a teenager forever.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• He either helps or you get to cancel anything he cares about...phone, gaming, sports, girlfriend, friends. A boss would not put up with him not doing a job he is asked to do, you shouldnt either. Time for the young man to grow up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Take the keys away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My husband and I are pretty strict but we also understand that kids will be kids. But if my son EVER took the car without permission he would have hell to pay. There are just some lines you don't want them to cross and to me that's a biggie.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:08 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I would agree with some of the other posters. I'd take the keys definitely! Until he can be responsible enough with a vehicle and to ask responsibly to use it, he just doesn't get it! You're paying the upkeep and maintenance on the car, the insurance, etc., so it's YOUR car--not his and especially not to use when he wants. As to the GF part, boys will be boys and, from my personal experience with my 16 year old son, girls will be girls. If the girl asks him to come over, trust me, he'll do what it takes to get there and the parent is like the last person he'll listen to. So, if he wants to see her so bad, he has feet!
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009