Mom or mommy?..

My son is 3 years old and calls me mommy .. My youngest brother is 6 years old and call his mother mom.. Now my son is picking that up, i think he is only doing it because he hears it But, At what age do they stop calling you mommy and start using mom?

gildea47265

Asked by gildea47265 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• my daughter is fourteen months and calls me mom and her daddy she calls dad
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:28 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think it's like you said he hears a different word that means mommy and uses it, my 15 year old still uses mommy sometimes. Just wait till he starts using your first name then "MOOOTTTHHHHER!"
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• LoL My kids use both , but my older kids only ever call me mom now (they are 5,6,7,8,12) my 2.5 year old calls me Momma, Mommy, Mom , mom is very infrequent. Any of them are fine with me .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am 31 and I stil call my parents mama and daddy. It must be a Southern thing. My sons call me Mommy, they are 3 and 6. They can call me that as long as they want to.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my 12 yo calls me mom and my 13yo calls me mommy and its always been that way i love it!!
    emexmom

Answer by emexmom at 8:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My son stopped calling me mommy at around age 8 and i really miss it. Sometime he slips and says it. I think kids stop saying mommy and daddy cuz it sounds babyish to them. I have 5 bros and sisters and we call our mom, mama or muh.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 8:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I stopped calling my mom "mommy" in grade school. I called my dad "daddy" until the day he died. Well, I actually still call him "daddy" when I talk about him.

As long as my kids don't call me late for dinner or something derogatory, I don't care.....well, not by my real name. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My 6 year old step daughter still calls my SO daddy when taling to him, but when talking to other people she says "my dad". I think it depends on the person. I have a friend who is 22 and still calls her mom mommy to her face. It's kind of weird to me but hey, what ever makes her happy.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter called me mom by the time she was 2. She's 3 now and calls me momma. I love it. My kids will also call me by my first name because they hear it. At first I would correct them but that made them do it more. So I've adjusted my thinking and really don't care if they call me Amanda or Mandy. It's only occasionally and really just to be funny. I call them by their names but I'll also call them boy/girl or son/daughter, just for fun too.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2009