• In the Spotlight:

Should I take him to the animal shleter? Tricky Situation.

My husband is military and we live in base housing. Our neighbor found a puppy in the woods hunting one day and decided to keep him. He loves this dog...but his wife hates it. Fastforward a few months and he is now deployed. The dog is now left to the mercy of his wife. She took down the fence her husband had put up for the dog and just put it on a tie out. He was digging under the fence and she didn't like the holes. He constantly gets tangled being on the tie out and she nevre brings him inside. Fastforward a few months into the deployment: She is going home for three months to see her parents and isn't coming back until he gets home from Iraq. She doesn't want to take the dog with ehr, so she makes arrangements for him to stay with a friend for one month while our other neighbo is out of town. When that neighbor returns, she is going to take care of the dog. Continued...sorry so long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pets

• So the friend took the dog to her house and the neighbor called animal control on it the first night because of his incessant barking. Her solution was to bring the dog back and tie it up in the neighbor's yard. She came over to feed it once, and then stopped coming altogther. We noticed and started feeding him and moved his lead into our yard so he would stop getting tangled around stuff in the neighbor's yard. Continued again...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The problem here is that 1) The incessant barking keeps, me, my husband, and my baby up all night! 2) Base hosuing rules indicate that dogs are not allowed to be tied up outside. If we get caught with him, it is a stiff fine. I don't want him in my house though bc he is so high strung. 3) Base housing also only allows two pets per house, and I already have two dogs. The neighbors dog makes three. If we get caught, we get our pet priviledges revoked and I woud have to give up my house or my dogs. Not cool. I am losing my marbles with this dog, but I feel bad since his owner (dad) is deployed. What would you moms do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Call animal control and tell them this entire story. I feel bad for the deployed one...but his wife deserves what she gets.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• its his dog or yours or your home he is not there to take care of the dog. i would first try to find another owner as soon as possible if that doesn work yes i would have to take him to the shelter
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Is there any way to get in touch with the wife to tell her the sit. Although we prob. know what she'll say. I would take him to the shelter too. There are No Kill Shelters out there also.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 10:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• the dog is tied up all day and night? and not being fed by the person left n charge of him? call animal control and tell them the whole story...regardless if this woman is a dog person or not...she has no heart. what she has done is a crime, it is animal abuse, it is neglect and it should not b tollerated. she deserves 2 get n trouble by the law and her husband. and btw people that abuse animals often graduate to abusing children next...maybe this whole thing should come into light!
    yomamaporter

Answer by yomamaporter at 10:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Call animal control ASAP. Hopefully they will do something.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If you feel so bad for the dog and you want to keep him then socialize and take the dog on walks. If not then find a no kill shelter for the little guy. Just think if you were tied up all day you would be high strung too. He just need some TLC. Good Luck.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• As I see it, you have 3 choices: 1. Call animal control because the dog is being neglected and/or abused. 2. Put an ad in local paper "in search of home for lonely dog who's owner is defending our country". Or 3. Take him to local shelter and explain the situation you are in.
    I love dogs too, but you have been put in a very bad situation and it isn't fair to you or your home. You shouldn't put yourself in the position of losing your home or dogs because this other woman is being selfish and negligent. She obviously cares nothing for the dog or for you, or she would have found it a new home herself.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with the last answer. And one thing is that dogs who are left alone because of deployed military usually get more attention. Your local news might even do a short little piece to advertise the dog for you. Its worth a shot. I know our news does this around here a lot. And then if you do end up having to take him to a shelter, please try to find a no kill one. Also, he needs excersie so maybe if you could find a way to walk/run him at least twice a day he would be better.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2009