Why do mixed kids always go to the black side?

if one parents is white the other is black. why do they always say the are black.
like mariah carey and halle berry. why do they always say they are black instead of white?

thuynhi

Asked by thuynhi at 9:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• well my two oldest kids are mixed and they don't do that. they have alot of different races of friends they listen to all kinds of different music. and asked what they are well they are people and they will tell you they are mixed. not a problem. my children can be anything they want to be as long as they grow up to be respectful to others and themselves and put forth every effort they can into every opportunity that arises. i just want them to be the people i am raising them to be.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• lol the black side?!?!! I think that often it's easiest to just say they are black if they have more obvious black characteristics. That's been my experience anyway with my friends kids. I have one friend who's kids have dark skin so they are black, and another who's kids have lighter skin so they are white. I don't think it really matters. But these families just let people draw their own conclusions, if asked they say they are milato.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter is mixed but still much too young to be on either "side" lol, BUT I took an anthopology class and something the professor said one day made alot of sense. He was talking about his cousins who are mixed and how when they were young, they all played together and were the "same." but even in school the teachers treated the mixed kids differnetly. He said that when they became adults, they all moved away and met back up at a family reunion many years later. They were married to black women and acted "black." He said that it was as if they were different people. And it was because society treated them as black because they did not look "white." So in order to fit in somewhere - they just went with the race that people "saw." That really made me understand an ex I had. He was mixed but acted how he thought "black" should act because he looked black and everyone treated him and called him black.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with anon - they do that b/c society sees them that way, treats them that way, so therefore they begin to see themselves that way. You see someone walking down the street, they have "black" hair, or their skin looks "black" so you just assume they are, even though they might be mixed, or whatever. It's really about the same as a child being told he's stupid all the time eventually coming to think that if everyone says it, then he must be stupid. Mixed kids get told all the time that they are whatever race, they begin to think they must be.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Both of my children are bi-racial, my oldest child being half black and , as of now (he is only 5) he will tell you that he is ,"brown and white." He will grow to acknowledge both races and I don't worry about how society will play a part in his decision. I've heard many people say that children are looked at as whatever they look like on the outside so if that is the case my child will more than likely identify more with Hispanic children. His SF is Hispanic and his brother is half Hispanic so it wouldn't surprise me if it worked out that way nut I think that my son has enough respect and pride in me as a mother and his paternal grandmother that he will acknowledge both of his heritages. I think it's all about instilling self pride in your child.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• *BUT. Gotta love those typos:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They don't always go to the "black side" my nephews are mixed and they say they are white they are only 5 and 8 but they choose what they want why does it really matter what they decide? If you are mixed you have the option to say you are how you feel. My dd is mixed black and white I call her "my little white black girl" the nurses in the hospital didn't even believe she was mine she was pale white when born.( im dark chocolate) It does not matter what people want to call themselves. Why concern yourself with something so pointless?
    Anonymous

• Most likely they go on with what they look like.
    I have a friend who is half black and half white. If you ask her she will say she is black. She looks black. Doesn't look a bit of white.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I hate to say it, but if you have a drop of black blood in your body. Statistically, you are black.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 1:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2009