Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does a father have the right to take a 3 month old baby away from its mother two days a week if there has been no contact between them since birth?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (8)
  • NO WAY!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • Without a visitation order in place, and even if the baby has his last name but lives with YOu, He is kidnapping the baby. Call the police. Press charges, make him go to court to get his visitation rights. And make sure you get the child support order at that time too.

    Answer by vbruno at 7:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • In my state he does have a right to see the child if he pays child support. If there is no court order then one needs to be put in place for the protection of both parents.

    Answer by beanurd at 10:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • NO NO NO NO NO!!!! He has to have a court order to see the baby. And then only if he is paying child support, and in most states it's under your terms and you can be present for most infant visits, especially if you BF. I know all this because I have a delinquent father of my DD and I made SURE that he could only visit when I said so. But he never has...sooooo. Anyways. If he shows up wanting the baby, lock your doors or get in the car and leave and CALL THE COPS. They can make him go away and you can get a restraining order for harassment. Hope this helps you hun!

    Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 11:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • Females are so...well...Why wouldn't you want your child to have contact with the father? apparently he doesn't live up to your expectations, that is no reason to deny a father's right. See that's the thing about women, if the guy isn't there for them it is more common for the bm to keep the child away. Is the guy trouble...trouble as in doing drugs and will put the child in harms way? if not, let him see his kid. Unless of course you want to add to the statistics of deadbeat dads. Sorry, but dads have rights too!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • I do believe he has a right to see his child, but the child being so young, needs to stay with it's mother. That means supervised visits for a while, but you cant take his parental rights away. You do in fact need a court order for visitation. Put it in a way to him as "safety for the child". That way each parent knows where the child is supposed to be and when the child is supposed to be there. Go through mediation if you have to. But if you have gut feelings that he shouldnt have your child alone, then make those feelings known and why.

    Answer by taracv at 2:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • In my state they have every right to do just that. I think that a relationship with dad is just as important as relationship with mom. As long as the child will not be put in any kind of danger I think that the father should have just as many rights as the mom.

    Answer by Jazak at 3:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • I think he has a right just as much as you do, unless he like other mothers have said is an alcoholic-durg addict- P.O.S. man. At 3 months old or 13 years old he/she needs a daddy.

    Answer by LilMamaCrooks at 8:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.