Did you hear about the NY doctor?

I was watching Greta last night and she had a small snippit on a doctor in NY who is seeking divorce from his wife. He had given her a kidney at some point, only to find out she is having an affair with her physical therapist. The Dr. is now requesting that she either pay him $1.5 million dollars for the kidney, or he wants the organ back. What is your opinion on this?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well that's just him saying she had an affair. We are not going to know what is true and what is not. In any cause it's still not right. He is using that against her. He is a doctor and he still has obligations and ethics to stick to. He can be pissed all he wants, but he still gave it up free of charge and without stipulations. Besides I dont thing that you can put a contract on an organ. Like here I'll give you this kidney but you have to not ever cheat on me or divorce me. Thats not the way it works. There is risk when you do something like that for another person. My dad gave up a kidney to his brother, and if they had a falling out would he have the right to say HEY you need to give that back to me or pay for it. That would be extortion. I hope he does lose his license.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 12:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Okay, my answer is one of ethics. If he donated the organ, then it was just that, a donation. He has no right to recover money from something that was a contribution. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a Dr. is asking for his kidney back. And if he really hates her that much, why would he want something back that has been inside her (unless it would cause her death, which is also an ethical issue).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think he's is pissed and rightfully so! He gave his wife the gift of extending her life, and THIS is how she repays him...with an affair?!

I'm sure he doesn't actually want his kidney back, but he wants to leave her penniless (hence the $1.5MM suit--as she'll probably manage to collect a sizeable divorce settlement! I would do the same if my hubby cheated on me in the same manner.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I get that he wants to get back at her, but he doesn't really have the right to benefit monetarily after the fact. Is it even legal to sell your organs (like prior to surgery)? There was no mention of a prenup, so I have no idea what the settlement would be if he fails to get this one through.

I agree that she is a real piece of work for doing that to her husband, regardless of him giving her the gift of life. I would think if my DH did the same to me I would find a more creative way to get back at him.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree that he gave her the gift of life, but think about this: If he's trying to sue her for 1.5MM now, he could have been a real prick all along, thus causing her to have an affair just for the comfort of being loved by someone who wasn't so almighty quick to slap a price tag on love.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i don't think he can have the organ back but his lawsuit might stand a chance. incredible story. unbelievable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think she should charge him for having his children and raising them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I like that one charging for carrying birthing and raising the kids lol :).
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:20 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• he is a nut and shouldnt be allowed to practice medicine anymore! if he was my doc, i would stop seeing him, i udnerstand he is hurt but this is not acceptable, you cannot say becuz you cheated i want my kidney back, that is insane, i saw him talk and he seemed like a neurotic mess! she woudlnt have cheated if he had made her happy right? so it is his fault in some way!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I can understand why this guy is mad and his attorney needs to fight so he is not paying that bitch alimony. He should put his energy into getting custody of the kids and make sure her divorce settlement is very small. She screwed around she can find someone else to pay her bills maybe the ass she was screwing around with. Her health is probably not that good so he might be able to get the kids probably a better father anyone that screws around is not a good parent. Blowing up their kids lives like that is terrible parenting. Selfish bitch. I can see him making sure she gets none of his money but suing her for the organ is ridiculous. Hopefully, he will put his energy into something he can do.

Anonymous