Reason why our cat is vomitting?

our cat has started to vomit, and its white stuff. Not sure why. two of the cats are doing this... any advise??

ahortiz5

Asked by ahortiz5 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2011 in Pets

• They usually couch up white foam when I've been eating grass or have a hair ball.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• yep, may be a hairball, or could've gotten into something else entirely.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• My first guess would also be hairball.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• I'm with the hairball team.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 4:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• Hair ball it is...

Answer by older at 5:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• Could be hairball or eating grass. Do you ever give them milk? I used to give our cats milk once every week or two as a treat, but found out one of the cats can't handle milk. It makes her throw up a whitish foam.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

• I would be concerned that 2 of the cats are doing this. If it was just one cat, not that big of a deal. Honestly, this really isn't enough information. Did the cats throw up once? Are they repeatedly throwing up? How often are they vomiting? How long have they been vomiting? Are they keeping down water? Could they have gotten into something? Did you change their food? Depending on frequency and duration, this could be something or it could be nothing. Vomiting in animals is not the same as vomiting in humans. When we throw up even once, it is a big deal. If you are talking about the cats just throwing up once, it isn't a deal. Probably a hairball or something didn't agree with them. It could even be stress. If it is more often, that could be indicative of something serious.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 10:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2011

• Probably ate a leaf or flower of some sort. Look up a list of toxic plants to cats/dogs. Usually the shiny leaves or lilies are toxic. White foam usually means it's slightly toxic but they're trying to hack it back out. Put any house plants, flower vases in a closed room/bathroom. See if this lasts for a few more days and if not then that was it. I'd also look into buying kitty grass (so there's no pesticides and usually no soil/hydroponic is better/cleaner) since kitty is craving greens. You can order it online or chop some washed grass into a food bowl. Grass is a natural way for cats to cleanse themselves when they don't feel good. It also seems to help them vomit what they were trying to get out of their system. If the white foam turns yellow or greenish, then I'd worry more since that's a sign of bile acid from the stomach. If they also stop eating for more than 3 days, I'd take them to the vet and also ask about an IV.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2011

• If it was just one cat, I might assume its a hairball, but I agree with momofkids that since two cats are sick, they probably ate something they shouldn't (someone even could have poisoned them if they've been allowed outside unsupervised) or have some sort of parasite. I would take them to the vet for an exam/stool sample test.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2011