Vaccination question

I vaccinate my kids but the school wants them to get a second chicken pox shot and I'm refusing, I don't feel it's necessary and if they get the chicken pox then I will deal with it. My question is they want me to sign an affidavit of religious belief but it has nothing to do with religion, can I get into trouble for basically lying and will this mess things up regarding other vaccinations? I have talked to the school about it but they aren't being helpful.

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't know. My son got the second chicken pox shot and he was fine with it. What about the vaccination is making you not want it? I don't think lying and saying that it's a religious reason is a good idea unless you are truly basing your decision on religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Good for you for not wanting the vax for your kid. You cannot get in trouble for claiming religious reasons. If you want to claim religious AND personal reasons. I do it all the time. The religious aspect for me is that I don't believe that God designed our bodies to be vaxxed. He designed them to work WITHOUT it!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Some school districts only allow kids in with no vaccinations if it's religious or medical. (the reason you're actually not getting the second shot is totally up to you)

However, if the paper you sign says something like "true to the best of my knowledge..." and you're knowing lying....well, I don't know what if anything they would do...but you would be outright lying.

It depends....how strongly do you feel about him not getting the second vaccination. If you go against their policy or you lie and they find out, they could possible make you remove your son from school. I really don't know.

The school district here requires it, and we're going to do it....but that's our choice...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I don't vaccinate. One of the reasons I chose not to is that some of them are not effective.
    ONE of the ones that is not effective is the Chicken pox. You have to get boosters. You can tell them no. I would not sign a religious release. Maybe philosophical.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think the biggest problem I'm having with this form is it says I'm swearing that this belief is not a political, sociological or philosophical view of a merely personal moral code. It's not that I'm worried there will be complications from the booster I just think it's completely pointless.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• With the varicella vaccine there is a booster that is required 10 years after the first, I have had to get the vaccine, I am 27 and have never had the chicken pox and being in the medical field I did nto want to get it, esp since the older you are the sicker you get. So the shot is not pointless there is a reason they have you come back and get a booster. Both of my kids have had the varicella vaccine and neither have gotten the chicken pox.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• That second immunization is considered a booster for the first one. They discovered that this was necessary because kids were still getting thye chicken pox. I would get it, but if you don't want to, sign the stinkin' religious sheet and be done with it. They get so carried away with this paper signing stuff these days!
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I would check you state law first. I know in PA that you can sign a religious exemption form for personal reasons because state law is worded something like you can use strong personal/philosophical beliefs in lieu of religious beliefs.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It's really no different from any other booster that your children get during the vaccination schedule.
    Anonymous

• Can you request of your son's doctor that a varicella titer be done on your child to prove his immunity? The school district should take a physician's statement of immunity as proof and a copy of that letter would go into your son's file in place of the religious exemption. I would ask about this since you are set against the booster (which, btw, so was I, but for medical reasons).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2009