Cat pooping on floor, why?

Young healthy female cat - litter box trained. Has clean available box yet has crapped on the carpet twice. WTH is wrong and what shall I do short of getting rid of her. I will not have cat shit carpet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Cats usually do this if they are sick or under stress.

Also, make sure you clean the carpet with a bit of vinegar where she pooped so that she won't be able to smell it there.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 4:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• As in not pooping in the box at all? If no - maybe it's the litter? Possibly even accidents? If yes - it might just be clingers? Otherwise - is there any sort of animal scent in your house that it might be trying to cover up? Just a few thoughts outside of it doing it out of spite. Good luck.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 4:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• Our kitten does the same thing and I finally figured out it was the type of litter. Mine was doing fine, but then stopped using it. I asked the vet she told me to change to plain no scent cheap as crap $1 litter. I did. Problem solved. Apparently some cats do not like all the chemicals in the litter.

Answer by gemgem at 4:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• Most of the time she poops in the box but sometimes she just likes to crap on my carpet. This morning she crapped right next to the box, my husband witnessed it.

Other animal scent? no, only 1 other cat but they are buddies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• does that smell though gemgem ? the cheap litter i mean? we use the arm & hammer right now, it takes care of odors well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• You can pour a box of baking soda into the cheap as heck litter and it works really well for odors.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 4:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• Hmmm... it could be that she's stressed. Is there a new cat or something in your neighborhood? That happened to one of our cats once, she couldn't stand the scent of one of the cats who lived next door and it drove her crazy. We've used Cat Attract litter to help retrain a cat who suddenly stopped peeing in the box, we used our regular litter and mixed the Cat Attract in with it. It worked well, but idk if it would work for your kitty.

Also, I second the vinegar thing, that works to get rid of the poop smell so she won't keep going there.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• It's probably behavioral.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• No its plain and the stuff making it smell good for us is what makes them not like it, according to the vet. Cats are meant to be outdoors pooping in the dirt, and here we have them inside pooping on something that smells totally foreign to them. It is not like dirt to them, its who knows what to them. So thats your cats way of saying in your face I am not pooping on that.

Answer by gemgem at 5:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• i'll try that, thank you
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2011