Potty training for a puppy??..

I think our family is ready to get just a tad bit bigger by adding a dog to our pack. Question is, how did you go about potty training your pup?

I am outside of the house mon-fri 6am-4pm and off weekends. DH has a random schedule. Sometimes he has one day off during the week and one the weekend, or sometimes it's just one off on the weekend and working six days total. Do you think we could successfully potty train a dog this way or would I have to take a vacation?

simpleesr23

Asked by simpleesr23 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Would you be willing to get an older dog?
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 5:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• Yes. I am also trying to find out which dog is child friendly as well. My daughter is 4yrs and a petite one for her age so the big dogs kinda freak her out. She is into small dogs. It doesn't have to be those furry stuffed animal little dogs. I just want one that stays a small size, but still kid friendly
    simpleesr23

Comment by simpleesr23 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• I know that our shelter here is really pushing for adoption of older, pre-house trained pets and they have a huge selection. Apparently the bad economy means that a lot of people are having to give up their long time companions.

It would be so much easier for you because you wouldn't have to take time off work to train a puppy (and I think that's what you'd have to do unless you could get someone to come by the house several times a day to let it out to potty)
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 6:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• I agree with pp an older dog might be a better bet.... they can hold it longer and may already be pretty trained, you still have to do some training but it will be better for you schedule. Puppy wont be able to hold it that long and probably start going in the crate or your house and thats not good for them or you.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• Thanks. I think that's a great altenative. We just moved to a better area as well so I'm sure the breed and age selection will have a good variety for us to choose from.
    simpleesr23

Comment by simpleesr23 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2011

• I would go to the shelter as a family and meet some of the older dogs, find out who's already potty trained and see how they interact with your daughter and what their energy levels are. Make sure the dog fits you. Not being home that much means you obviously don't want high energy or you run the risk of coming home to torn up furniture, potted plants dumped over and possibly even a hole chewed through your walls.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2011