in my case....

In my custody case my babies father is trying to say I am un fit because I am on WIC, food stamps, and housing. Will that really hold up????? Do the judges care about that???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends on the judge and what else you're doing. Are you attending school, looking for a job, working now?

You're better off speaking to your lawyer..your local laws, local judges, etc...the lawyer will know better...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes to some point. How hold is your child. Are you making a reasonable effort to work, find work. If you are not, it may a little but that still isn't grounds for unfit. However, if you don't work and are not looking, just taking all you can get he will not look on that highly. If you are making a reasonable effort like I said he won't care to much about those things.
    Good Luck!!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I live in pa. When my husband was going after custody of his daughter (mystepdaughter). he was told that as long as the child was taken care of it did not matter. his standard of living and her mothers was too different things. All they cared was she was feed, clothed, and had a roof over her head.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with momto4boys03-07. I don't think it matters. The state obviously knows you're getting assistance and they don't think you're unfit. It's hard to be a single mom and sometimes you need a hand. Maybe if he was helping out more you wouldn't need state assistance.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No. He would have to prove you unfit because you withold food, beat, endanger, and/or neglect your child(ren). It also depends on whether or not you are seeking a better life. I mean, are you sitting on your ass collecting state money? Probably not. It seems like you may have been put in a position that was beyond your control (laid off, or whatever) and you're doing what you have to until you can care for your child(ren) completely unassisted.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I actually work full time, I just don't quite make enough to do it all on my own :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009