• In the Spotlight:

3rd grader going wrong after 3 years of greatness///

My son is in the 3rd grade. K-2nd grade.. Honor roll, awesome behavior, honor Math student, teachers dream, mothers pride...Now...yikes. He has switched schools everyyear but this school is driving me crazy. The teacher he has seems to be so disorganized that she almost doens't remember what is expected. His grades have dropped his behavior has followed at school and home. The students in his class or like him or worse....What woud you do?? Homeschool, switch schools, take verything away from him and tell him to get it together??? AAAHHHH help

TimsBaby

Asked by TimsBaby at 10:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Switch schools... it might be the teacher... and if you don't see improvements then start taking things away.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't switch schools, but maybe change teachers. Sounds like it could be the teacher. If she's unorganized, she can't be doing a very good job of teaching, and if the rest of the kids are like him or worse, then it sounds like he's not doing anything wrong. Change his teacher and then see what happens. If he continues to have trouble with a better teacher and his new classmates are doing fine, then you'll know it's him. If his grades and behavior improve, then you'll have solved the problem and have your great kid back.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Did I read the OP's post right? You have switched schools every yr? If that is the case, then he could be acting out with the additional unorganized teacher/classroom... Talk to the teacher... point out how good his grades, attitude, everything has been up until this yr, ask her what she thinks the problem could be... my gs's teacher is a little unorganized, but she is a very good teacher... If that doesn't work or you are not happy with the meeting, contact the school Principal and have a conference...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'd just plow through. We send our kids to public schools, but also "home school" them too. I'd make sure he learns his multiplication tables, at a bare minimum, this year. Otherwise, just get through the year, and hope next year is better.
    Sometimes it's good for kids to learn to overcome a bad situation with persistence.
    My kids have had teachers some years that I just can't stand, but they have survived and learned a lot regardless, sometimes the lessons are not academic.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2009