Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 year old is sick. unsure of what to do.

I took my 2 year old son to the doctor 2 days ago because he was coughing had a fever couldnt sleep for more then 1 hour straight he wouldnt eat he wont move. He sits on the couch or in the bed looking half alive watching shows or cap napping. Ive already told the doctors this. He is now on antibiotics and giving him benadryl and ibuprofen. But he hasnt seemed to get better in any way still. He does have those stringy goopy yellow boogers coming out of his nose but he doesnt kno that getting them out will help. Not sure what to do and as far as i was told he has a virus. My moms never seen me or my brother this sick nor have we ever seen my 2 year old like this before. Very worried for him :( please help.

Answer Question
 
lainybb

Asked by lainybb at 3:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • If you are super concerned take him to the ER. Otherwise use the bulb syringe to get the boogers out and make sure he gets plenty of fluids.
    mamaparks87

    Answer by mamaparks87 at 3:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

  • Hes been doing pretty good on his liquids. He wont let me stick anything up his nose he pushes it away and im worried about his fever. Im giving him 3 chewable tablets as prescribed for his weight and he still feels warm. His cheeks are very rosey. He wont let me check his temp because he is very irritated with everything. I just dont want anything bad to happen to him. Im not sure how long it will take to get over a virus or if the antibiotics arent working or something. Thanks for the reply though!
    lainybb

    Comment by lainybb (original poster) at 3:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

  • Take him into the bathroom and strap him into a bouncy seat or car seat, Take a warm shower or run the hot water and build up some steam, That may help break up some of the mucus and congestion. I know it sounds cruel, but you may need to just hold his hands down and use a nasal syringe on him. If he is sucking that mucus in, it could prolong the illness. If you have any saline solution, that can help you syringe the nasal passages easier. And get a temp on him. If it is still higher than about 100 F with treatment, you may want to take him to the urgent care/ER or contact his physician on call. Keep him very hydrated. Lots of water and pedialyte. Now isn't the time for milk, tea, or sodas. Typically, an antibiotic will start to clearly help within about 48 hours, but continue giving it to him until the prescription is out. If he has a virus, an antibiotic will do nothing for him. An antibiotic treats a bacterial infection.
    Mom1Stepmom1

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

  • Usually antibiotics take a couple days to see any type of difference, meanwhile if he feels especially warm, have him get in a cool bath, that really does help break a fever but it's usually a temporary fix. Since he doesn't cooperate with trying to clean his nose out, i would try using Salene Nasal Drops to dry it out. it's a matter of holding him down and putting a couple drops in each hole. If in a day or so you don't think he's getting better, take him to the ER. It is hard at that age and they do get irritated but remember your helping them so, you may just have to irritate him a little bit.

    anichols1

    Answer by anichols1 at 6:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

  • There is really nothing you can do for a virus but let it run its course. You can only treat the symptoms. Make sure he is getting plenty of fluids. Don't give him water it can cause him to throw up. My pediatrician told me that. Have him drink things like apple juice, pedialyte or gatorade. If he doesn't want to drink freeze them and make them into ice pops. If he is very congested, vicks vapor rub on the chest and back will help and sit in the bathroom with him and get it nice and steamy. The steam helps to break up the congestion. To bring down the fever you can throw him in the bathtub with warm water. Do not let it go above 98 deg. Throw in some toys and let him play. The water will suck out the fever.
    robinkane

    Answer by robinkane at 8:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

  • My two and a half year old is just getting over a similar sounding virus, with fevers up to 104. Tis the season, unfortunately. Keep offering fluids, diluted juices, water, pedialyte are all good. Yes, a steamy bathroom can help loosen up congestion, saline drops in the nose will help loosen up the boogies. By the way, you don't wait for a two year old to "allow" you to take care of his boogers, you just do it. You're the momma, you're the boss!

    Vicks vapor rub is NOT recommended anymore. In some children with irritated airways it has been found to cause further irritation resulting in respiratory difficulty.
    katiemomNY

    Answer by katiemomNY at 8:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

  • Sounds like a sinus infection. He's coughing because his sinuses are draining down his throat. Get "Ocean" saline spray & recline him & drop them into his nose then dab his boggers away. When he sleeps, keep his head raised so the sinuses can drain. I would stop the Benadryl since it's most likely making him drowsey. I let my sons sinus infections run their course about a week or two. As long as he doesn't have a fever consitantly over 99, then give him baby Tylenol drops during the day(4-6 hours an needed) & Baby Motrin liquid at night (lasts 8 hours & will help him sleeep). Keep him drinking & eating and wait it out. If he spikes a fever, will not eat or drink or is very lathargic (not cause by the Benadryl) then call his Pediatrician ASAP.
    ILovemyPaulie

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2011

  • Hey everyone thanks for all the great responses! I did have to take him to urgent care. They were worried about pneumonia from the way he sounded. so they did xrays. He came out clean. The doc put him on an extra medication and he is now eating and acting himself more. Within a few hours after giving it to him he got wayy better. But he is having problems sleeping because of his stuffed nose he wants to breath through his nose. I got some saline stuff for that too.
    lainybb

    Comment by lainybb (original poster) at 4:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2011

  • I am soo happy he is starting to feel better!! My little guy hates the nose sucker too, but I have to put my feelings aside and hold him down. He feels soo much better, as long as you do it correctly. Give pleanttttyyyyyyy of loves after!!! Good luck!
    kgrine

    Answer by kgrine at 10:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN