TMI........Daughter playing with herself.

I know it is normal for little girls and boys to play with themselves, but at what age do they stop? How did you get yours to stop? My dd is 3 almost 4 and it isn't so much as playing with herself as "hunching" on a chair arm. Or rubbing up and down on the carpet. She is going to preschool in Aug and just wondering how to get her out of this before she goes to school. Any suggestions. I have told her NO, or go to your room it is private. but what else can you do? Please Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter did this alot but I just told her I didn't want to see that and after I would just shake my head and she would stop.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Its normal for them to do this. Sounds like she found something that feels good so she sees no reason not to do it. My son was around 3-4 and (long story) was doing things like that due to molestation (not saying your dd is its normal hes was extreme) and the therapist taught him other coping mechanisms and how to use his words and that doing those things were private things. Maybe just move her into her room when you catch her and be consistent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• just look her in the eye and shake your head when she does it She'll stop. I don't think it's acceptable behavior for a little kid. Don't make her feel bad, just subtly let her know it's not okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• LMAO my husband is 25 and still does it : ) My boys have done it, but Kaden is 5 and I just tell him that it'll still be there whether he touches it or not, so he shouldn't do it. Colin is still too young to understand, but he thinks it's hilarious to touch himself. Just let her know that it isn't appropriate and move on. Good Luck
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:28 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my daughter (4) went thru that..and still does it once in a while...like during the summer when were at a waterpark and she'll stand right over where the water sprays up and she just stand there and laughs as the waters spryaing her crotch...or like if i take her clothes off in the living room rightbefore bath or shower time, she'll hop onto the couches, which are leather, so theyre cold..lol..and she rolls all around on them laughing and saying ohhh so cold, but feels so good..lol..its hilarious!! theyre kids, they dont know any better..and im not gonna get mad at her for figuring life out!! i mean if she was sitting there in front of a whole bunch of people doing something, then yaaa id tell her to stop..but she doesnt do that..and i think its more or less because she knows it makes me laugh..hahahaha!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughters are 2 and 4 and they both like to touch themselves. They both like to be naked. The 4 yr old I have to force to wear panties around the house and be fully dressed if we have anyone over. The 2 yr old has just started to take her own diaper off and will ask me to let her be naked. Then she (both of them realy) think is really cool that they have "a hole" their fingers fit in. I just roll my eyes and put a diaper back on the little one. The older one can go to her room to be by herself for now. I too am hoping she grows out of it soon because the little one likes to copy big sister. Since we are usually at home I do not have any issues if they both run around inside without clothes as long as the bottoms are covered (diaper/panties). Is that wrong at this age?
    knomers

Answer by knomers at 2:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009