• In the Spotlight:

brestfeeding past 12 months

My daugher is 10 months right now, and brestfeeds to go to sleep. She enjoys it and I do too. I want her to stop brestfeeding when she wants to, but everyone in my life is pressuring to wean her once she turns one, especially my boyfriend. I have no idea how to deal with everyone, and they are actually starting to actually change my mind. I mean I don't want her brestfeeding till she's 2, but I don't want to forcing her into stopping. Help!!

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do what you think is right. My daughter weaned her self at 10 months because she was ready. I wanted to go longer but that didn't happen. lol. Just do what you want. It is your choice not theirs. With this baby I am planning on at least a year. That is if this one makes it that far.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I weaned my daughter at 18 mths when I got pregnant again and haven't weaned my son who is 33 mths even though I'm just about 38 weeks pregnant with baby three. If you want to continue you can do it even if they think you shouldn't.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Don't let others influence you, you'll feel better with no regrets if you trust your instincts. Its a lesson for all of life. You want your daughter to absorb you self confidence. Your friends and family heave unhealthy issues with breastfeeding.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Your kid, your body.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE BUT YOUR BABY !!!!! I totally agree w/ Farrahann..about unhealthy issues your family has..Breastfeeding is the best thing for your baby.. Just tell them to MYOB.that's what I did w/ my MIL .When she's ready she'll stop on her own :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I know people who thought I BF too long. We only made it for nine months but after six some people were wierded out. I planned on going until DD was 1-2 but she had other plans. I see nothing wrong with going until 2 but do what you want don't let anyone put you down for BFing.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• well my daughter is 18mo and is still feeing before naps and before bed. I don't feel bad about it at all b/c the longer she breast feeds then the longer I can wait to put her on milk. It's your decision.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:03 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• 2 years is recommended. Give them some facts, change the subject and do what you want. Nursing is what both of you want--that's the best choice.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think the key to my answer is something that you already said: "She enjoys it, and I do too." This is obviously a very healthy bonding experience for the 2 of you, and you shouldn't let anyone stand in the way of that. Tell people that this is a very personal decision for you and your daughter to make and that you'll let them know when you have something that you want to tell them. This is very similar advice to what Dear Abby tells people to say when people are pestering them about when they are going to have a baby!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009