Can you boil frozen chicken breast, bone in, and then cook with it?

I want to make chow mien, but I only have frozen chicken breast.

RedDahlia82

Asked by RedDahlia82 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes. You can. I would start it off in hot water and let it slowly come to a boil. Then when it's done, put it out on a plate and let it cool. Debone it and chope it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2011

• Thanks!!!
    RedDahlia82

Comment by RedDahlia82 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2011

• It would taste better if you baked them
    Boiled chicken tends to be rubbery

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2011

• It will turn to rubber. Defrost it in a microwave. If you have no microwave, wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in a pot of hot water, but do not boil. When the water turns cold change the water until it is defrosted.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2011

• I would defrost it. Boiled chicken is awful. Either defrost overnight in the fridge or in tne microwave.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2011

• I never thaw out my chicken before cooking it. If you boil it long enough, it should come off the bone with no problem. If it comes out "rubbery", it's not been in the pot long enough.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2011

• If you boil frozen breast it will taste like plastic. I would defrost it first and then boil it or wrap in aluminum foil and put it in the oven it will taste better
    JR.MOM

Answer by JR.MOM at 10:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2011

• I have to ask, those of you who are saying that the boiled chicken is "rubbery" or tastes like "plastic" ... do you not put seasonings in the pot with the chicken? Because my MIL can only eat very tender chicken, I am limited to the way I can fix it ... baked or boiled. Either way I make it, it comes out very tender and very juicy and I NEVER thaw out my chicken.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2011