how can i get my 6 year old daughter from peeing her pants?

she mostley does it at night but she has had accidents at school.

jostock

Asked by jostock at 10:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We had the same problem with our nine year old. What we suggested to the school, is that they give her regular potty breaks that are timed to the minute. Then what we did was add ten minutes to that time once a month, until she had full control of her bladder. My daughter just suddenly woke one morning dry. And since then, she hasn't wet at night. Unfortulately, she still has accidents once in a while. We know that these accidents embarrasse her, so home and school, we remedy the problem as fast as we can. I hope my suggestions help. Might also try a daily reward system if she remains dry most of the day. She might have a tiny bladder. You might need to make the reward tempting enough that she really tries hard. Be consistant on the reward system. I am 56, mother of four, three are grown and then we have our nine year old. I totally understand your frustration.
    Sunshine545

Answer by Sunshine545 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My DD has never had a accident at night. Ever! Since she was 2.5.... but... she still has them during the day sometimes. She is in 1st grade and has had about 3-4 accidents since September when school started.
    deputywife

Answer by deputywife at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter had this problem from ages 3 to 8. She was dry all night, but had accidents during the day. She had a huge urgency issue -- like she has to go RIGHT NOW with zero warning. It turned out that she was having spasms of her bladder muscle -- the muscle that "pushes" the urine out would suddenly contract, and she would be trying sooo hard to keep it in, but couldn't. She had good luck with a medication called Ditropan. She has pretty much outgrown condition now, unless she is unusually fatigued or stressed.
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 10:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009