How often has your child been sick since birth?

Since my 18 month was 8 months old, it seem like he is always sick. I breastfeed him till he was 13 months, He didn't go into daycare till he was 13months and even then he only goes two days a week. It seems like every week he is sick with a snotty nose or cough or fever...he always gets a fever. My other mom friends say there is something wrong, their children are never sick ( once in awhile anyway). every time I bring him to the doctor they look at him and declare him to have a "cold" or "virus". Can he really get sick that often? We already tested for allergies, he only has a very, very low grade allergy to egg ( which he barely ever got before the testing). Maybe I am doing something wrong, or can do something better? what do you all do to keep your child from getting sick all the time??

DIETITIANMAMA

Asked by DIETITIANMAMA at 10:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 3 and I have had to take her to the Dr. once when she was 1 for an ear infection! That is the only time that she has been sick enough to go to the Dr. I too breastfed until she was 16 months old and I think that has played a big part! She started preschool this past Sept. and we have been lucky that she hasn't been sick but the other kuids in her class stay sick! I think everybody's immune systems are different! I know alot of children that seem to stay sick. Could he be having these symptoms due to teething? My daughter had cold symptoms every time she was getting a new tooth in! Do they get alot of sugar? I have read that sugar decreases their immune system!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 10:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Kids will have an average of 8 colds per year. If a kid is in daycare or school, the number of colds could be higher.

It seems like my three are always sick...however, when I sit and think about it, they have maybe 8-9 colds per year, just all during the winter! LOL Makes it seem like it's constant!

The best defense is washing hands....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my daughter got a cold around this time last yr and is now getting over one for this yr, but that's as sick as she has been. We did get a virus a few months ago, she was sick for 2 days w-it, fever, diahrea & sleeping... Does you child drink a lot of milk? It can make sinus issues worse. He may have a slight alergy to it or something else like the carpet or a pet. One of my nephews stayed sick with a stuffy nose when he was a baby, he was put in the hospital for 4 days when he was 18mo b/c he was having a hard time breething. They found out he was allergic to something in the carpet so they had to pull it all up and put down laminate wood
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am dealing with this now. I hate it! My son always seems sick. He just returned to daycare after two weeks off (where he was perfectly healthy) and is already getting another virus or something. I also feel like he is sick more than he should be, even though I expect colds, etc. from being in daycare.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My son only had one cold fromt he time he was born to age 1, then had like 3 or 4 colds from age 1-2, and he is 29 months and has had 3 sinus infections and an ear infection in both ears and several colds since his 2nd b-day, it seems like the older he gets the sicker he gets
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter has never had an ear infection, but she's had croup at least seven times now.

Also all of us got the flu BAD at Easter last year. As in, changing a diaper every 20 minutes with her (poor thing!!)

Other than that, she seems pretty healthy.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 12:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My dd is always sick. She's almost always got a runny nose. I'm pretty sure it's from sharing germs at day care. She loves to put *everything* in her mouth including her hands which means she's exposed to more germs. She's had about 8 ear infections (she's 19 months) but ent said her hearing is fine so no tubes. She's not as sick as she used to be. When she started day care at 8 weeks it didn't take long to get bronchilolitis then a few colds. Around a year she had bronchitis. Some kids are just more prone to getting sick than others. Despise bing sick so often, she's rarely been upset by it. Usually, I don't even know she's sick!
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My kids are rarely ever sick. They were all formula fed 100% and 3 of them are in school full time. The 3 in school get less sick then the one at home. But even her colds are very mild. She'll get a runny nose and maybe a cough and then a week later is better. That happens a few times in the winter (sometimes once a month). Basically that is as sick as my kids get. My oldest complains of sore throats once in awhile but that is rare and they only last a couple of days.
    In the 8 1/2 years I've had kids we've had like 5 or so sick visits (all for the older 2 kids) and out of the 3 in school they have only missed school for an actual illness like once or twice a year.
    I think kids are just different. There is no "normal".
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My 16 mo. old is always sick. As a nurse-I can tell you that daycare breeds sickness. But a lot of doctors also say that its kinda good for their immune systems. I can't tell you how many times we have been to the docs! Countless. Your not a bad mom-some kids get more sick than others.
    mom2one2007

Answer by mom2one2007 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter is almost 13 months old and she has never been sick. Never.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2009