My 6 yr old keeps saying she wants "Mommy milk"

She was nursed the longest of all my kids and she has every so often asked to nurse again. I quit BF when she was a year old. Now, when she wants to be close to me or is afraid (bad dreams, etc) she wants to nurse. How should I respond?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her that you don't make milk all the time, only when you have a baby. Also spend extra time cuddling her and holding her. There may just be something going on with her that she needs extra "touch time" like hugging and sitting together. Be there for her. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• She's probably just curious about boobs.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• how does she remember? My son is 15 monts and breastfed until he was just over 12 months. I dont see him out of the blue wanting to nurse in 5 years. Does she have siblings that are younger and she saw them nurse? If so, maybe she is just wanting more of your attention.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I should say, I nursed my daughter till she was 2.5. When she self weaned she just stopped. About six months later, she wanted to nurse. I let her try. She just started laughing and couldn't. She really just wanted to be close. Some people are like that. They need physical closeness. We call them "Touchers". It is ok. Give in to her cuddling. Maybe she needs it right now. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I do cuddle her daily and she has been through a lot. Our whole family has. She has looked at her baby book and seen pictures of me nursing her. She is my youngest and I cannot have any more children, but she seems to not be satisfied unless I hold her right by my chest. She doesn't play with my breasts. I don't allow that but I will let her rest her head on them. (covered of course) and she is ok with that, but she still asks every once in a while to nurse, so I just wondered....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My five year old asked me the other day. Which I thought was odd, seeing as how he quit breast feeding at six months, and he was 2 and 1/2 when I quit breast feeding his twin brothers. But he asked where milk came from, and I said that we get our milk from cows, and then he asked where the milk comes from that babies get, and that he wanted some. I acted like it wasn't a big deal, and just said that it was for babies, because their tummies were small, and he went away, not thinking anymore of it. I think it's commercials he's sees on TV, or something.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 2:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We have removed at least one answer from this question. Moms are looking for responses from other members that address the question they have asked. Please don't post judgmental answers, they're not appreciated and will be removed by the CafeMom Team.

::The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 7:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was thinking maybe she is afraid of growing up? Did someone die recently in your family? We just had our dog die a couple weeks ago and my daughter has been crying A LOT. She finally told me last night she is afraid of me dying. She seemed comforted by finally admitting her fear. Just a thought. You are doing fine, I think she just needs you right now. :O)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• explain to her that she is too old to BF anymore and find a different way to give her the attention she needs. I'd try rocking her or just holding her. tell her she is a big girl and not a baby anymore. some kids like to hear that they are big now and it makes them feel a little better.
    killerbunny2008

Answer by killerbunny2008 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009