Is catholics a good religion to join?

If you are not catholic, but looking in to switching religions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depends on if you like prayers from a book, Bowing and praying to statues and the right to do what you want with your own body jepardizing your ability to enter heaven.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If you want to be Catholic just remember " if it feels good don't do it".
    Anonymous

• As a Catholic I think it's a great religion to join. After studying other the Bible and history I think it's the church that Jesus founded.

If you're interested the Catholic Church offers RCIA classes to help people understand what the Catholic Church teaches. You don't have to promise to convert to take the classes -- they're a good way to learn about the faith.

An article that provides an overview of the Catholic faith is "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" or the book "Catholicism for Dummies" is helpful and easy to read.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:14 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Just to address some miscoception: Depends on if you like prayers from a book, While Catholics do use some memorized prayer, individualized prayer is important to.

Bowing and praying to statues : Catholic's don't pray to statues - they're just sculputures used to remind us of Christ, his teachings, his followers.  They are also helpful in teaching children about Christianity.

the right to do what you want with your own body jepardizing your ability to enter heaven: Our bodies are a gift from God and something that we should respect.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:17 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think before you chose a religion to join you should try a few different ones. Pray about it and see where the Holy Spirit is leading you do go.

I'm not Catholic, my husband is. I do go to church with him a few times a month. To me, Catholocism isn't a very personal church. I'd prefer a church that made Jesus/God a more personal relationship.

This is just my opinion...
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 11:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My mother, nan, gramp and 8 of uncles are Catholics and i think they are very good people but didn't practise the religion

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I love being Catholic and there are alot of changes going on in the church right now. My church is fantastic, others are not as good. I was raised Fundamentalist and they never talked about Jesus except as a threat of eternal punishment. Catholics are all about following Jesus and His teachings. The first poster knows nothing about the Catholic religion.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was raised Catholic. Its a very political religion. And it's true, if it feels good it's wrong. But a simple confession fixes it all. I don't follow any organized religion now, and I blame it on the Catholic church ruining it for me. One of our priests, someone you should trust, molested alter boys in the parish he was at before ours. And he's only one. If I were to go back to a Christian church, it would absolutely, positively NOT be Catholic.
    Anonymous

• Catholics believe in purgatory, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe in that...so I wouldn't consider becoming a catholic.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Well, I grew up Catholic too and it certainly has messed with my ego and my self esteem. I don't think I could ever do that to myself again or anyone I love. It's a very political based religion, like anon 12:16 said. There is a lot more loving paths to take to God. Jesus taught about Love and compassion. The Catholic church focuses way too much time on sins and how "awful we are". I wouldn't recommend the Catholic religion at all.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009