Help!

My 4 month old fights sleep all the time. I have tried everything! He cries before all naps and bed time. Nothing makes him happy, he does not want to play on the floor, be rocked, sit in his swing, or be layed down. And there is only 1 way that he wants to be held and he fights that tooth and nail, fussing and squirming about for half an hour before his eyes start to get heavy. I know he is tired, he will rub his eyes and yawn, and I don't think that he is over tired either. This can't possibly be the way I have to put him to bed all the time, right?!?!? I've tried soothers, binkies, sitting up, laying down, he hates it all! Any suggestions??? Oh, and I've been trying a routine every night of bath, massage, bed time, but he is still fussy and fights the sleep!

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 11:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 6 month old and she was the same way, what I would do was just lay her in the crib or bassinet and put the passy in and let her cry it out, checking on her every 4-6 minutes, sometimes it would take 20 minutes, sometimes it would take an hour but she would eventually fall asleep...good luck!
    PS...this was recommended to me by our pediatrician
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Well there are just so many interesting things that are going on and he probably just doesn't want to miss anything. Does your spouse or husband ever try to put him to sleep. I know since I am the one that always puts my daughter to bed and down for naps that she fights me to not go to sleep. Maybe by having someone else rock him to sleep it would help. My daughter also had a glow worm, that she just stares at until she is out. No crying no fuss. I also sing to her alot, and I have a friend that used to call a friend up just so the baby could hear her voice while she was talking, and that always knocked her boys out too. Good Luck
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:05 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. We put her in our moby wrap, or any baby carrier would do, and I walk around the house doing all the things I normally would do. The movement and her being close to me really did the trick. I always faced her in and tucked her head under one of the straps. Sometimes during the day I take her on a walk in her wrap or stroller. Something about the movement really soothed her. My husband holds Isabel like a baby laying in his arms and sways back and forth. My best advice is keep trying everything until you find something that works for you and keep doing it. Something to keep in mind, also, is almost all pediatricians are in agreement not to let an infant under 6 months cry it out. If nothing works, talk to your pediatrician. Maybe there is something going on that is making him not feel well. Best of luck!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 11:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my son used to do that alot too. one thing that worked for him was singing, another thing was just letting him do his thing and cry if he needs to! a cryin baby is a breathin baby. but if you think he is still too young to sooth himself, what we did was lay him down and (he was in his pack n play for the first three months) kind of jiggle the corners of the crib. for some reason the movement really calmed him. and then when we transfered him to the crib we just kind of bounced the mattress a little. good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Check out the magic sleepsuit at www.magicsleepsuit.com. The creator was just named mom of the month by www.mominventors.com. It worked great for my child and was just what he needed to sleep better.
    Anonymous