What's the latest on crib bumpers?

I used them for my oldest,and decided the latest research made sense so I took them out for my second child. However, she continues to get her arm and/or leg stuck in the bars and I need to put something in there so she is safe. She is now 8 months. Help!

holleymom

Asked by holleymom at 11:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the same problem. Just saw today in a flyer that they have breathable bumpers. It was at baby depot.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have thirteen month old and I have used bumpers the entire time up even until this point. My little girl likes to scoot into the corners of her crib, I think she feels more secure with it in there.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They have mesh "bumpers" that velcro on....however, I refused to use them after my 8 month old son managed to pull them completely off and had them wrapped around his throat.....

My youngest is 2, so take it for what it's worth...but if they can move around enough to get a leg or arm through the slats, they are strong enough to move away from a bumper before they suffocate...

Not to mention...my sons always used to sleep cuddled in the corner...there was no way they could get their face shoved in there deep enough, long enough to have suffocated....

But, as I said, my youngest is 2 years, so I may be out of date. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm sorry its buy buy baby....I don't see a brand name, just says breathable bumpers. buybuybaby.com
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Walmart used to sell them.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Oh...it will keep their limbs in the crib, but there is no cushioning.....and they do NOT fit every crib
    TiccledBlue

• For young babies that can get their faces stuck against them, they are a no-no.
    Once the baby can move around enough to get arms and legs stuck in the bars, they are fine. Babies this age can wiggle away easily if their faces get pressed up against the bumper.
    For babies that can pull to stand, they are a no-no again. The baby can use them as a step-stool and that increases the chance of the baby climbing out and falling.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm gonna check it out today. My husband always freaks when he finds her limbs sticking out. I'll let you know how it works.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009