How do you feel about H&R Block?

We've never used them before, but I think we are going to this year. A lot of people say they won't use them because you don't have to be a CPA to work there...but everything's automated these days, and many people are doing their own taxes at home. That really doesn't worry me at all.

What are your experiences, good or bad?

Tifffs

Asked by Tifffs at 11:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• i've used them quite a few times and never had a problem
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Just ask if they are and if not ask for someone who is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i will never use them again for 2 years they didnt claim my daughter on my taxes now i have to go fight to get the money from them
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• they took alot of my refund to pay them im not going back
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Wendy, they should have gone over your taxes with you to make sure everything was correct and if not shame on both of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You don't have to be a CPA to work there, but they do go through a pretty long training program. We used them last year because our tax filing status was weird and I was having trouble getting it done myself. I didn't like it because even though they figured out where I was going wrong, they charge a lot to file. It cost around $100 if I remember correctly for them to file two state returns for my husband and I (we are residents of different states because he is military). I am trying to do them myself this year online to save money. They do a good job, but the expense makes them a last resort. They also made me mad because they were advertising an advance on your refund if you were getting one, but when we tried to get our state refund in advance, they told us we couldn't because the exclusions rule out active duty military from qualifying. That ticked me off pretty bad.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• anon 11:47 they didnt go over it with me to make sure they did everything correctly
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Just be watchful. You don't have to be a CPA to file a tax return. But I have seen some people to go H&R Block and be told they owe a lot of money when they didn't. SOme people working their are great and some aren't. Most are though, so it should be OK.
    Anonymous

• Wendy -- how long ago was this? You may be able to file amended returns to get your refunds. No need to harras H&R block about it when you can do it yourself and move on. The 1040X is actually pretty easy to do.
    Anonymous

• I won't use them again. They f'ed up my 2006 tax return - didn't write in my Advanced EIC, so now the IRS is hounding me for that money. H&R Block should back up their guarantee, but they don't.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009